Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

The Yankess first offer was 8/231 right?

That is 28.875 million per. If they just took that yearly salary and added two years to it the total contract is 10/288.

And it is some of your contentions that the Yankees would not have done that deal pre opt out? That the Yankess would draw the line at 8 years?

Or that if he asked for a little more than 1 million more per year to make it 10/300 the Yankees would have said no?

And that the bottom line is that Boras got Arod the most possible money he could?

Really? That is lol.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM

arod should ahve went to the giants imo
Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ARod says talks with Yankees are "in the bottom of the fifth inning (ESPN.com story).

I thought they were closer to a deal than this sounds. Maybe ARod is just using a bad analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it was the 9th inning, you'd expect him to choke and have the talks fall apart, amirite?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

If the quotes about Arod desiring to stay in NY are at all true, and the estimates of 10/275 are at all close to true, it would take something really severe to stop the deal from getting done.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM

I've found a few minutes to reply to a few of the comments posted in my absence but I want to preface this quickly: I think I am done after this. It was fun in the beginning but it's becoming quite tired and boring to repeat my argument over and over. I think I have outlined my position pretty clearly and unless some piece of relevant news or a more coherent argument surface, I don't see myself changing it.
On to srz bizz.

[ QUOTE ]

If the Yankees are willing to pay 10/275 without the Texas monies, they are willing to pay 10/296 with the Texas monies. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Le sigh. You didn't answer my question from earlier so I'll repeat it. Why would the Yankees' offer A-Rod the entirety of the Rangers' 21mill if they believed that a 10yr/275 deal would get the job done? A 10yr/275mill deal and a 10yr/296 deal are the same in terms of what the Yankees would to have pay. A 10/275 deal with the Rangers paying 21mill is significantly better then either from their perspective. Why wouldn't the Yankees stand firm on the latter deal? Are they just awful negotiators? I could see them offering a piece of the Rangers' money to A-Rod but at most I believe it would be around 5mill. Is it worth going through the whole negotiation process for 5mill when you can just call their bluff and get a 10yr/275mill deal? Again, I will state my opinion very clearly. The Yankees never intended, before A-Rod opted out, to spend 275 million out of their own pockets. That is my opinion and I have yet to see sufficient evidence that I am wrong. I know there were some grumblings in the press and colour me cynical, but I believe a lot of that was posturing. The following is an abridged and hyperbolic version of what I believe happened.

Yankees: "Ok, Mr Boras, we will start by offering a five year extension onto your client's exisiting contract. But know this! Should you choose to opt out, we will offer you nothing!"
Boras: "O RLY? We opt out"
Some jagoff team: "Yo Boras, 8/225?"
Yankees: "Well gentlemen, what are our third base options? What's that? Mike Lowell is on the phone? He wants a fifteen year deal? Tell him to hold. The Marlins are on the other line. They will give us Miggy in exchange for our entire starting rotation. Damn you Boras, you evil genius!! 10/275?
A-Rod: Ship it. Thanks bro.
Boras: Yah, np.

That's how I see things. And with that I'm done. Good night and good luck.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That is 28.875 million per. If they just took that yearly salary and added two years to it the total contract is 10/288.

And it is some of your contentions that the Yankees would not have done that deal pre opt out? That the Yankess would draw the line at 8 years?

Or that if he asked for a little more than 1 million more per year to make it 10/300 the Yankees would have said no?

And that the bottom line is that Boras got Arod the most possible money he could?

Really? That is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure thats how it goes with all contracts... "Hey can you toss like 1.3mil more per year?"

These attempts at logic are so lollercoaster. Do you not think that the yankees are were trying to use their ability to be the only option for A-rod to get a discount with their threats? It seems pretty apparent that Boras/Ghey Rod called their bluff and Yankees magically found some more dollars.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it
with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

He left at least $10MM on the table plus took a hit to his image, whatever that is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

But again you are assuming that the Yankees were willing to give A-Rod the entirety of the Rangers money before he opted out. Why would they at that point? Remember that their starting point was 8/231 and I just don't see them going above the 10/275 even with the Rangers money. They are the richest team in baseball but they don't have unlimited monies. Even if Boras/A-Rod hadn't opted out, I believe that the Yankees would have offered the same deal. It would have better from the Yankee perspective, but that isn't Boras' concern. I feel like you are failing to grasp how insane a 10/275 contract is in the first place and I don't think anything above that would have happened under basically any set of circumstances. A-Rod is 32 and is likely limited to a corner infield position. Also, let's not forget the incentives that could make the deal worth 300mill anyway (were they a part of the original offer?)

Also, about the imagine thing. It really doesn't matter if you are just about to sign a deal that will last a decade. In ten years, if A-Rod hasn't retired and is looking for a deal, I doubt anyone will remember/care about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Yankees are willing to pay 10/275 without the Texas monies, they are willing to pay 10/296 with the Texas monies. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and if I pay ten dollars for a ticket and lose it, I am more than willing to pay another ten dollars for a new ticket because human beings are all completely rational and to hell with sunk costs!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Really? That is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure thats how it goes with all contracts... "Hey can you toss like 1.3mil more per year?"

These attempts at logic are so lollercoaster. Do you not think that the yankees are were trying to use their ability to be the only option for A-rod to get a discount with their threats? It seems pretty apparent that Boras/Ghey Rod called their bluff and Yankees magically found some more dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the Yankees, with upwards of two weeks to negotiate, gave Arod their absolute best offer as their first offer?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Really? That is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the Yankees, with upwards of two weeks to negotiate, gave Arod their absolute best offer as their first offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of retard logic is this? Obv not. Thats why A-rod opted out and got a better deal.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Really? That is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of retard logic is this? Obv not. Thats why A-rod opted out and got a better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The better deal equates to two more years at less money per year than what they offered pre opt out.

Do you think the Yankees would have agreed to a 10/275 in that 10 day window?

I guess the better question is, if you think 8/231 was not their best offer pre opt out, what would they have offered that was not equal to or better than 10/275?