Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
By the same logic you could say that because at the start of the Arod free agency discussion Boras made comments about Arod being worth 350/10, he got owned.

The Yankees made a lowball extension offer trying to prevent Arod from hitting the open market which would have the added benefit of getting the 21m of Texas money. Just because the FO "said" they weren't going to negotiate if he opted out doesn't mean they 100% meant it or it wouldn't still be a beneficial signing at a higher price. They wouldn't have a very big chance of getting Arod to sign the lowball extension if they came out and said they would still negotiate after, would they? Even if there is a very low chance of it working (Boras is too good an agent to leave that much money on the table) it is in many ways a freeroll. So saying the Yankees just got totally owned is ridiculous.

Now considering how little success Arod had when he opted out and hit the open market, did the Yankees make a mistake by not sticking to their guns and seeing if they could have brought him down from 275/10? Possibly, I don't know.

Everyone trying to judge who won or lost is going to come up short of being accurate, and probably will just base their answer on whether they like or dislike the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something but has free agency even started yet? How can you say he had so little success on the market after the first serious bid, a 8yr/225 offer, was promptly topped by the Yankees with their 10/275 + possibly another 25million? This is a pretty ridiculous contract and I don't see why people aren't seeing that.

Also, just for the sake of argument, Boras "owned" the Yankees because he forced them to forfeit the Rangers' money and pay the full amount out of their pockets.

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boras is taking a beating in the press, and that will affect him negatively with future prospective clients, especially the 18 year olds and their idiot fathers. His air of invincibilitly is gone since he is percieved to have "lost". He also may have hurt his relationship with the Yankees, which could affect his wallet in the future.

The Yankees paid 10/$275MM but lost the $21MM from Texas, so the deal could have cost them only $254MM. A-Rod gets 10/$275MM, but if the Yanks are willing to pay that much, he could have gotten 10/$296MM pre opt out. Most likely they meet in the middle and both sides cost themselves $10ish million. Everybody lost.

The closest thing to a non loser in this situation is the Yankees, because they at least helped themselves on the field for the next five or so years by getting their third baseman while saving enough trade chips to land Johan Santana if need be. They also locked up the the soon to be all time home run king.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boras is taking a beating in the press, and that will affect him negatively with future prospective clients, especially the 18 year olds and their idiot fathers. His air of invincibilitly is gone since he is percieved to have "lost". He also may have hurt his relationship with the Yankees, which could affect his wallet in the future.

The Yankees paid 10/$275MM but lost the $21MM from Texas, so the deal could have cost them only $254MM. A-Rod gets 10/$275MM, but if the Yanks are willing to pay that much, he could have gotten 10/$296MM pre opt out. Most likely they meet in the middle and both sides cost themselves $10ish million. Everybody lost.

The closest thing to a non loser in this situation is the Yankees, because they at least helped themselves on the field for the next five or so years by getting their third baseman while saving enough trade chips to land Johan Santana if need be. They also locked up the the soon to be all time home run king.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

He left at least $10MM on the table plus took a hit to his image, whatever that is worth.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Meh, I guess Arod took a hit to his image, but ultimately he is in the same place as when this all started. He will be called a choker and a cancer until he wins a world series, and the minute that happens everything will be forgiven. Pretty much like with Manning.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He left at least $10MM on the table plus took a hit to his image, whatever that is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right and so did the Yankees but you still managed to comment on how they got something out of it because at least they got a good player. Arod also benefited,
Old 11-19-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it
with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But again you are assuming that the Yankees were willing to give A-Rod the entirety of the Rangers money before he opted out. Why would they at that point? Remember that their starting point was 8/231 and I just don't see them going above the 10/275 even with the Rangers money. They are the richest team in baseball but they don't have unlimited monies. Even if Boras/A-Rod hadn't opted out, I believe that the Yankees would have offered the same deal. It would have better from the Yankee perspective, but that isn't Boras' concern. I feel like you are failing to grasp how insane a 10/275 contract is in the first place and I don't think anything above that would have happened under basically any set of circumstances. A-Rod is 32 and is likely limited to a corner infield position. Also, let's not forget the incentives that could make the deal worth 300mill anyway (were they a part of the original offer?)

Also, about the imagine thing. It really doesn't matter if you are just about to sign a deal that will last a decade. In ten years, if A-Rod hasn't retired and is looking for a deal, I doubt anyone will remember/care about this.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 AM

ARod says talks with Yankees are "in the bottom of the fifth inning (ESPN.com story).

I thought they were closer to a deal than this sounds. Maybe ARod is just using a bad analogy.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it
with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But again you are assuming that the Yankees were willing to give A-Rod the entirety of the Rangers money before he opted out. Why would they at that point? Remember that their starting point was 8/231 and I just don't see them going above the 10/275 even with the Rangers money. They are the richest team in baseball but they don't have unlimited monies. Even if Boras/A-Rod hadn't opted out, I believe that the Yankees would have offered the same deal. It would have better from the Yankee perspective, but that isn't Boras' concern. I feel like you are failing to grasp how insane a 10/275 contract is in the first place and I don't think anything above that would have happened under basically any set of circumstances. A-Rod is 32 and is likely limited to a corner infield position. Also, let's not forget the incentives that could make the deal worth 300mill anyway (were they a part of the original offer?)

Also, about the imagine thing. It really doesn't matter if you are just about to sign a deal that will last a decade. In ten years, if A-Rod hasn't retired and is looking for a deal, I doubt anyone will remember/care about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Yankees are willing to pay 10/275 without the Texas monies, they are willing to pay 10/296 with the Texas monies. Do you see why?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right and so did the Yankees but you still managed to comment on how they got something out of it because at least they got a good player. Arod also benefited,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is why my main contention is that everybody lost. I am firmly in the camp that believes the Yankkes gain more from signing A-Rod in terms of value than A-Rod gains from signing with the Yankees. That's why the Yanks are the smallest loser.