Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Buying the Button

Last night on High Stakes, Matusow came in late andbought the button by putting up the small and big blinds. I don't know this rule. Can someone explain it? Does he do that and then buttton just automatically comes to him? Can you do that at anytime?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Buying the Button

You can only do it when you've missed the big blind. So instead of waiting a hand, you can "buy the big blind" by paying both the big (that you missed) and the small. You are the only blind in that hand. The next hand you get the button.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can only do it when you've missed the big blind. So instead of waiting a hand, you can "buy the big blind" by paying both the big (that you missed) and the small. You are the only blind in that hand. The next hand you get the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the blinds are a few past you thus "resetting" the blinds and making others pay blinds after you when they may have just done so a hand or two before? (I mean in hands following that hand)
It seems like a good way to foster collusion by having someone get up and leave the table, come back and buy the button so his partner could retain the advantage position (assuming he is later to act) and allowing some to see a few extra "free" hole cards.
Imagine you are two guys to the left of someone who buys the button. What if you were the big blind the hand previous to the guy buying the button? Then you'd be the big blind again right?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM

no

P1=B P2=SB p3=x(guy missing BB) p4=BB
next hand guy buy the button

P2=button P3= small blind + big blind P4= pays nothing
next hand
P3= button and P4= small blind

noone is big blind twice
Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 AM

In Engrish:

If he missed the blinds he can ante up the small & big blinds to play that hand and stay in as normal for the rest of the hands till the blinds reach him again.
Otherwise if you miss the blinds you have to wait till the blinds gets back to you to play.

[x]Wrong forum
[x]72 is a noob
[x]thread needs more nakid chicks.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 PM

+1 to the nekid chicks, and thanks for the Engrish. I saw it on TV, so I put it in here. I always thought you only had to post the big blind to get back in the game, not both.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
+1 to the nekid chicks, and thanks for the Engrish. I saw it on TV, so I put it in here. I always thought you only had to post the big blind to get back in the game, not both.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were already in the game and you missed both blinds, than you have to post both the big and little blinds to get back in (unless you want to wait until the big blind comes around to you). The above "buying the button" applies if you missed the big blind. You don't have to wait for the button to pass you to come in.

You post only the big blind when you are new to a game. You have to post both blinds in a game you were in to make up for the money you missed when both blinds passed you.