Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suzzer99 - You are of course correct about diminishing returns - lets face it - the main difference in a 20k speaker and a good 5k one is mostly bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

wat?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you probably don't need to spend much more than say 6k total.

[/ QUOTE ]

wat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on - I'm talking in generalities, but correct me if I'm wrong, but even a very, very good salesman at a great NJ high end store basically said the same thing regarding bass. That's what costs, cause to get great bass, you have to spend for the cabinetry(among other things). My tweeter on my Dalines were more or less the same as on the 80k Wilson's, my bass obviously was not. (bit of an exageration but again, I'm talking in big generalities.) Look at most high end monitors - they are the full range speaker minus the better bass. Micro Utopia - basically a Utopia minus better bass. B&W 805's? 801's minus the bass. get it??
I'm sure there are more complex issues involving crossovers at the midranges on better speakers but....

and anything over 6k ish is serious diminishing returns. ok - bump it to 10k
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suzzer99 - You are of course correct about diminishing returns - lets face it - the main difference in a 20k speaker and a good 5k one is mostly bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

wat?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you probably don't need to spend much more than say 6k total.

[/ QUOTE ]

wat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on - I'm talking in generalities, but correct me if I'm wrong, but even a very, very good salesman at a great NJ high end store basically said the same thing regarding bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol?

[ QUOTE ]
That's what costs, cause to get great bass, you have to spend for the cabinetry(among other things).

[/ QUOTE ]

? Wood is pretty cheap imo

[ QUOTE ]
My tweeter on my Dalines were more or less the same as on the 80k Wilson's, my bass obviously was not. (bit of an exageration but again, I'm talking in big generalities.) Look at most high end monitors - they are the full range speaker minus the better bass. Micro Utopia - basically a Utopia minus better bass. B&W 805's? 801's minus the bass. get it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice how none of the above systems have that tweeter and that all of the above systems have an entirely different speaker design from the big brand stuff you mention.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM

I'll put in my plug for Vandersteen speakers. I have the 2Ce, which is very highly regarded in the audiophile circle as one of the least expensive, full range, high end speaker systems. They were ~$1300/pair when I bought them 10 years ago and about $2000 now.

Their highest end model is the Model 5 for about $17k.

When I was shopping for them, my buddy was seriously pushing for me to get the Thiel CS3.6, but I couldn't justify spending more than twice as much for speakers.

Both Vandersteen and Thiel are highly regarded by The Audio Perfectionist, because they follow the same principle of phase and time-coherent drivers.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:14 PM

We sold a lot of Vandersteens where I worked.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Vandy 2CE Sig is probably one of the best buys in high end audio. My buddy has a pair - they are sweet sounding.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put in my plug for Vandersteen speakers. I have the 2Ce, which is very highly regarded in the audiophile circle as one of the least expensive, full range, high end speaker systems. They were ~$1300/pair when I bought them 10 years ago and about $2000 now.

Their highest end model is the Model 5 for about $17k.

When I was shopping for them, my buddy was seriously pushing for me to get the Thiel CS3.6, but I couldn't justify spending more than twice as much for speakers.

Both Vandersteen and Thiel are highly regarded by The Audio Perfectionist, because they follow the same principle of phase and time-coherent drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low efficient, multi-multi-way speakers. Pretty yawn imo.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vandy 2CE Sig is probably one of the best buys in high end audio.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you are just plain wrong - every Hi Fi reviewer / writer would agree to that. The Vandy's are the equivalent of the Dark Side of the Moon album - beyond a classic.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I feel like these responses are a little too "hey have you guys heard of this brand? yeah me too!" whereas neils intended to talk more about design and sound. Brand homerism is kinda meh(although i must admit im an ultra homer wrt headphones).
Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you are just plain wrong - every Hi Fi reviewer / writer would agree to that. The Vandy's are the equivalent of the Dark Side of the Moon album - beyond a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's in a sponsored magazine then it must be true.

Did you read the OP? Are you even thinking about design?