Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Best US President

[ QUOTE ]
I am personally a big fan Teddy Roosevelt. I even have a shirt with him on it and a list of things he did throughout his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if anyone would mention him.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Despite all of the [censored] that Lincoln illegally did and his basically [censored] all over the Constitution, letting the South peacefully secede would have had vast effects for the future. Not having the Civil War would arguably result in millions of not tens of millions of more future American deaths which which otherwise would not have happened. And thats not even considering the whole slavery issue (which is obv not why the war was fought, but the war still brought about the end of actual American slavery). So yeah, basically Lincoln still sucks, but isn't anywhere near as bad as FDR. Lincoln was put in an awful situation by circumstance (no prez before or since had ever had to deal with what he did, and letting 1/2 the country secede or burning the constitution were both awful choices), FDR created them (great depression and US entry into ww2).

Oh, and best prez is obv Washington. Dude could have been the monarch of an American kingdom if he wanted, but voluntarily gave up power. And his advice about foreign entanglements remains the best advice ever given by a President, despite the fact it was obv never followed. Jefferson kicked ass too.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
US entry into ww2

[/ QUOTE ]

... This would be one of those few things I really don't have a problem with. Can't imagine how anyone would.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM

In my lifetime...

Best - Eisenhower
Worst - Carter
Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
US entry into ww2

[/ QUOTE ]

... This would be one of those few things I really don't have a problem with. Can't imagine how anyone would.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a bit results oriented. I certainly think it's up for debate whether or not it was a prudent decision to enter WW2 at the time. Looking back from 65 years in the future it's too easy to question or agree with decisions made back then.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Also, surprised that ppl don't like Calvin Coolidge. Off of wiki:

During Coolidge's presidency the United States experienced the period of rapid economic growth known as the "Roaring Twenties." His economic policy has often been misquoted as "generally speaking, the business of the American people is business" (full quotation below, at left). Although some commentators have criticized Coolidge as a doctrinaire laissez-faire ideologue, historian Robert Sobel offers some context based on Coolidge's sense of federalism: "As Governor of Massachusetts, Coolidge supported wages and hours legislation, opposed child labor, imposed economic controls during World War I, favored safety measures in factories, and even worker representation on corporate boards. Did he support these measures while president? No, because in the 1920s, such matters were considered the responsibilities of state and local governments.

Coolidge's taxation policy, and that of his Secretary of the Treasury, Andrew Mellon, was that taxes should be lower and that fewer people should have to pay them.[106] The Congress concurred, and the tax burden on Americans was reduced in Coolidge's term.[106] In addition to these tax cuts, Coolidge proposed reductions in federal expenditures and retiring some of the federal debt.[107] To that end, Coolidge declined to sign some of the spending that Congress approved. He vetoed the proposed McNary-Haugen Farm Relief Bill of 1926, designed to allow the federal government to purchase agricultural surpluses and sell them abroad at lowered prices. Coolidge declared that agriculture must stand "on an independent business basis," and said that "government control cannot be divorced from political control."[108] He favored Herbert Hoover's proposal to modernize agriculture to create profits, instead of manipulating prices.

While he was not an isolationist, Coolidge was reluctant to enter foreign alliances.[115] Coolidge saw the landslide Republican victory of 1920 as a rejection of the Wilsonian idea that the United States should join the League of Nations.[116] While not completely opposed to the idea, Coolidge believed the League, as then constituted, did not serve American interests, and he did not advocate membership in it.[116]

Coolidge's best-known initiative was the Kellogg-Briand Pact of 1928, named for Coolidge's Secretary of State, Frank B. Kellogg, and French foreign minister Aristide Briand. The treaty, ratified in 1929, committed signatories including the U.S., the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan to "renounce war, as an instrument of national policy in their relations with one another."
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
US entry into ww2

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a bit results oriented. I certainly think it's up for debate whether or not it was a prudent decision to enter WW2 at the time. Looking back from 65 years in the future it's too easy to question or agree with decisions made back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how this could possibly be up for debate.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Cool info on Coolidge though, I'll try to read up on him.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM

BEST:
Washington
Jefferson
Jackson
Coolidge
T.R.
Reagan

WORST:
Grant
Wilson
FDR
Carter
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who would you guys argue was the best president? I think it's interesting since most of the popular choices (Lincoln, FDR, Regan) wouldn't be all too popular 'round these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think FDR is way overrated i.e. he was not goot. Sure many disagree though.