Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Stud Hi - is this a runner, runner?

I was playing this guy and hit kings full on 6th after starting from 3K3 - he'd made trip queens by then and so the raising began. A few days earlier same player had scoffed at me saying I'd rivered a straight when in actual fact i had made it on 5th. I told him I had it on 5th but he didnt believe me, so I left it at that. So now I reckon hes thinking the same way about me and so I decide to just keep raising till im all in (pity i was short-stacked). When I run out both hands are revealed to show I already had FH on 6th - but the player laughs at me and says RUN, RUN.

According to him any two consecutive cards after 3rd which help are RUN, RUN. So I said HTF are u supposed to make any hand without a RUN, RUN. Now technically i suppose it could be called that, but I thought the saying was usually reserved for big 6th and river suckouts - and indicates the player catching the runner, runner, to make his hand was playing really badly. So what do people think did I play badly here and suck out?

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (4.25 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.13 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (5.13 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises___raises___raises___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___raises___raises___raises___is all-in $0.80

River - (24.53 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___all-in

Total pot: (24.53 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $47.85 Main pot $45.50 Rake $2.35

Seat 3: [Qc Qh Qd 8h 4h 3s 2c] (Three of a kind, Queens, Eight high)

Hero: [Kd Kh Ks 3d 3h 7d 5c] (A Full House, Kings full of Threes)

</font>
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Stud Hi - is this a runner, runner?

First, I don't give a crap what anyone says about me. In fact I usually insist that I made it on the river. If he folds I'll say I had 2 pair or was drawing to T high (razz)

Second, if we want to get into terminology, runner-runner is whenever someone has a hand strong enough that you'll need 2 cards to beat him. So if he started with rolled up Qs and you had like A59, there is no one card you can get to beat him, you need 2. Doesn't matter where you get them, it's runner-runner.

In this case you had a loooooot of outs to pull ahead from 3rd on. K, 3 on 3rd. K, 3 5 on 4th. On fifth you hit your first improvement and now you're ahead of his original hand, but behind his current hand. And yeah, in fact, it required 2 running improvements in this case to beat him. I don't know if I'd call this runner-runner or not. Probably not. On no street did you need more than one future card to pull ahead of his current hand.

Anyway, he played it terribly. I don't play stud but from his point of view I don't see how he can think you have anything but trip kings or better, or a big 2 pair - and if you had 2 pair it would be too obvious for you to put in that much action, I think. His hand is concealed but on 6th it's impossible to have you beat. On 7th the only thing that can beat you is quads.

nh, sir.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks. I dont really care that much about what he said, I told him I call it perfect, perfect, not runner, runner, LOL.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't call the raise on third cold with (3K)3. Other than that, you played fine.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call the raise on third cold with (3K)3. Other than that, you played fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah in this game you can probably dump on 3rd (or maybe raise). On 5th I probably go for the c/r...he could really have any hand here.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not folding third.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not folding third.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

Yeah, clearly everyone at that table plays like an awful fish. Why, look at all the suckers who limped in with garbage? And what was that guy raising with lol amirite?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he meant that you don't fold third because it's a big ante game (ante = 1/4 SB). The bring-in amount is pretty big too. Lot of dead money in the pot. And your cards are live...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Maybe he did. It's hard to tell because he just popped in, quoted a bit of text and said "Don't fold".
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM

He has to at least put in 2 bets on 5th somewhere with kings up