Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Opinion on single men wearing a \"wedding ring\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: and what do you plan to say if someone asks you a question relating to your marriage?

"Oh, I'm not married."

"Oh... really? Then why are you wearing a wedding ring?"

???

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's my deceased father's wedding band. Sorry if I offended you by wearing it."

That will shut them right up.

It's slightly shady, but I doubt most will care one way or the other about your marital status. In fact, single workers are less expensive for the company because the company will not be insuring any dependents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were your attorney, I would not advise you to LIE to your potential employer. OP may not be lucky enough to have a dead father to involve in his ruse.

I think bald-faced lying is slightly more than "slightly shady." Employers probably don't care about marital status, but they might care about lying.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I bought my "wedding ban" even the good-looking girl behind the counter agreed that I would be treated better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it obvious why she agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No because I mentioned it AFTER I made my purchase.

I'm also surprised by the negative reaction to this. Is it ok to exaggerate on a resume or in an interview, but not ok to do this?

I see people "pump-up" their resume all the time and people are generally encouraged to do this, what's the difference?

Note: I've conducted at least 100 interviews in the corporate world and I can tell you from experience that people notice if you're married and for some it makes a difference. I've never seen or heard of extra benefit expenses from spouses or children influencing a hiring decision though.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I bought my "wedding ban" even the good-looking girl behind the counter agreed that I would be treated better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it obvious why she agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No because I mentioned it AFTER I made my purchase.

I'm also surprised by the negative reaction to this. Is it ok to exaggerate on a resume or in an interview, but not ok to do this?

I see people "pump-up" their resume all the time and people are generally encouraged to do this, what's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

Who says this? Who says it's okay to exaggerate on your resume?

Employers certainly don't.

And exaggerating (read: "lying") on a resume is different than wearing a wedding ring, because you're actually saying something that isn't true on a resume. Wearing a ring is not technically saying anything, though I think it is deceitful on a lower level.

But WTF saying everyone pumps up their resumes??!!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Standard with employment agencies. I can't even count the people I've had to train who they and/or their employment agency has said knows a computer program only to find out that they didn't know the program at all.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what happens when you get the job and they find out you aren't married?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the ones assuming that I'm married. I never pretend that I am or say anything that infers that I am. You only wear the ring during the interview anyway. You don't wear it when you show up to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they take you to lunch as part of the interview process? We used to do this all the time, and then the first thing we would talk about is everyone's significant others.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Not wearing a wedding ring influences their decision?

Reminds me of a time I was looking for a job and someone suggested I die my hair red and blue. When I don't get hired I could sue them for discrimination.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 AM

The consensus in society is that married women are the most stable demographic. You should dress in drag with a wedding ring and you are a near lock to get hired. Of course you show up for work as the everyday esad, no harm done, after all they were making the assumption you were a woman, it's not like you were lying to them.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM

With every post we get a little closer to the plot for "Tootsie". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it ok to exaggerate on a resume or in an interview, but not ok to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no, lying is lying. Neither are good form.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what happens when you get the job and they find out you aren't married?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the ones assuming that I'm married. I never pretend that I am or say anything that infers that I am. You only wear the ring during the interview anyway. You don't wear it when you show up to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you expect that wearing it helps, then you're expecting them to notice -- or they might even ask about your family. Then you expect them to forget. And when they don't you're a douche.