Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Teacher calls black student a N***a.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I work with a population to whom the word 'nigga' is a pronoun. I hear it and get called it countless times daily. (I'm white).

I have used a pretty similar tactic with youth who don't know when to stop, especially if they use it in a patently ridiculous situation (like at a gringo like me).

For instance, if a kid is complaining about a rule being enforced. "Yo, this nigga tryin to play me, tellin me I gotta go in my room." (referring to me.) I might ask him, "Which nigga are you talking about?" or "What nigga is that?" in a very 'white' voice.

Most of them get the point and stop. Some of them are so used to hearing everyone - including white people - use it that they don't even notice, or don't say anything.

However I wouldn't use it directly towards a kid or to directly describe a specific kid. The connotation of racism is too strong. I think if you're trying to claim it's a teaching tool or a commentary on the overuse of the word, you have to make sure it's obviously absurd and can't be mistaken for an actual racial epithet.

So, this teacher exhibited pretty poor judgement in a number of ways. While I don't think he sounds like too bad of a guy, he did something stupid and got about what you would expect.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this teacher did the same exact thing you do.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this teacher did the same exact thing you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several key differences.

1. As I said, I would never directly address someone with this word, as in, "Nigga, get yo ass back in the house!" I would also never use the word out of the blue, as some people are saying this teacher did, or even to interject into a relatively normal conversation. It is reserved for absurd situations.

2. It is used in the context of a treatment program and it is specifically my job to address problematic behaviors and language. Teachers end up doing this but ideally are not disciplinarians. My kids hear staff, including me, ask them to 'Watch the n-word' at least 10 times a day.

3. I'm not some old, fatally uncool shlub who can't admit when he's wrong or says something offensive. If I get into an argument with a kid and say something that makes him mad, I can apologize and move on if appropriate. In these types of interactions, a good sense of who you're talking to is key. You will not see me on the news trying to tell a black reporter that the slang variation of the n-word is a 'totally different word' with visual aids.

I don't know if you've spent much time in a residential treatment environment. It's a pretty unique world. FWIW I do this in front of my black colleagues (I'm the only white person in my unit) and supervisor. It's certainly an off-the-wall technique and a more challenging or confrontational approach, but sometimes that's appropriate.

I can totally understand what happened in this guy's head and how he got to this point. But he did cross a line. Sometimes the difference between a challenging or edgy line of thought and something dumb and offensive is very fine, and depends largely on presentation.

NT
Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone should be able to say this. It means nothing at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should be able to say it at this point, definitely. It's so dumb when a white newcaster says "And then the man called the young male 'the n-word'". But white people shouldn't call black people [censored] or niggas if they want to live, that is still out of bounds IMO.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No, my analogy isn't flawed, it shows concrete evidence from a point made earlier that I agreed with that didn't need repeated. Not every black person says the N word. This would go with your example.

I have a very good Jewish friend who calls everything and everything "Jewish". So this makes my analogy valid also.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some that don't. There are some that do. No jews, or italians, or mexicans do. There is a difference.

There is also a difference between calling something "jewish" and calling someone a "kike."
Old 02-08-2006, 02:40 AM

I have a black friend that doesn't mind when someone of a different race calls him a nigga, as long as he knows them.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really do not understand, the teacher was wrong for calling students a nigga, but black people call that each other all the time, why get offended when white people say it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your ignorance is astounding. Perhaps a lot of you are too young to realize what this country was like not too long ago. Since when did it become ok to use racial slurs? And don't be a nit and say an "a" on the end makes it ok. Plus this was a teacher.

And yes, those of you will say "my friends don't mind if I say it". But you'd be hard pressed to find any white and black friends over 30 calling each other "nigga".
Old 02-08-2006, 02:53 AM

nigga please.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 AM

man, what a sweet video. i used to live right around that highschool.

something tells me someone is gonna [censored] that nigga up.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a black friend that doesn't mind when someone of a different race calls him a nigga, as long as he knows them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind when anyone calls me a "nigga" if they are't doing it to make a scene. When a white person says it to me in front of other white people just to look cool though, I'll probably make them look like a prick.

My dads black and my mom's white, and some people know I'm mixed the first time they meet me and some people have no clue. I ONLY use the N word around black people, rather than most of you who only say it around white people.

What's the point of saying it when no black people are around? When you do this I feel you are doing nothing but mocking my culture.

I don't usually say the N word around white people because I don't want them to think that they can start using it as well.

For instance, whenever I walk into a grocery store and see a black guy between the ages of 18-25 (regardless if I know them or not) I'll say "sup nigga" as I walk by. No guy I've ever met has had a problem with me saying this.

In fact, I'm sure that most of OOT could get away with this without black people thinking twice about it if you really "meant it".

When I say the N word I'm not acting any different than I do normally, so it's not really noticeable.

but...

when some of you guys say it I'm sure you try to talk like a "black person" and I'm sure you can see where that can cause problems.

IMO, if you're not comfortable saying it around a random black guy, why say it at all? It says you're a racist/ pussy if you can't say it around everyone.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't usually say the N word around white people because I don't want them to think that they can start using it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, whenever I walk into a grocery store and see a black guy between the ages of 18-25 (regardless if I know them or not) I'll say "sup nigga" as I walk by. No guy I've ever met has had a problem with me saying this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that white people are just going to rip off and copy whatever black people do eventually anyway, so if you don't want us using your word (which was really our word if you want to get technical) you'll just have to stop using it.

Personally I don't like to judge a person's culture or cultural idiom but I think it's kind of self-destructive the way 'nigga' is thrown around by black kids these days. I probably see the worst extreme, though, dealing with the population I do.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of one of my favorite books in college, "Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts," by James C. Scott. Interesting read if anyone has time for it.

NT
Closed Thread