Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Let\'s elaborate on Sunglasses

I just read through the Tumi thread, in which asofel talks about splurging on a product that seems overpriced, but turns out to be a great value.

There was some discussion of sunglasses in the thread, but I think it's a topic that warrants further discussion. Also, I'm thinking about buying an "expensive" pair for the first time ever, and I'm wondering if it will be worth it.

Background: Apparently my head and face are (or were) relatively skinny, as most sunglasses look too "wide" on me. Because of that, and also because I am a cheapskate, I've either gone without or had a super cheap pair for years.

A couple years ago I figured out that REI carries a brand of cheap sunglasses made for kids (don't laugh) that fit me pretty well. I have gone through about 3 or 4 pairs of these in the past 5 years, although I've owned the latest pair for over 2 years without losing or breaking them.

I was pretty happy with the glasses, until a friend left his Smith Toasters over at my house and I started wearing them. Wow, they're a lot better! The fit is nicer, and they actually look normal on my face (unlike a lot of glasses I had tried throughout the years). Plus the light outside just looks better through them, and I don't get a weird rainbow effect when I have the visor down on my motorcycle helmet.

Figuring that the Toasters would cost $60-$70, I went to REI last night to buy a pair. Oops, they're $110. For non-polarized. A pair with polarized lenses costs $130.

Of course, it's not the absolute amount of money that concerns me... it's the fact that it's $130 for a couple pieces of freaking plastic that aren't THAT different than the ones that cost $10. Also remember that I am a huge cheapskate. It was enough to give me pause.

What I'm looking for in the thread:

1) Testimonial: Expensive sunglasses are totally worth it and here's why.
2) Testimonial: Stick with the cheap ones and here's why.
3) Recommendations and reviews on sunglasses in general.

For reference:

Smith Toasters - $109 non-polarized

Native "Attack" Sunglasses (another pair I tried on that I really liked) $140

Old 07-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Let\'s elaborate on Sunglasses

I've owned the same pair of Revo sunglasses for ten years. I take excruciatingly good care of them and will never voluntarily buy another pair. Comfortable, good vision, but pricey. If you're not likely to lose 'em, I'd go high-end.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM

I sat on a pair of about $90 sunglasses a few months and have been getting by with crappy knock off lenses since then. The knock offs suck, I just haven't gotten around to buying a new pair of decent glasses. If you are unlikely to do something stupid, like sit on them, I would get something nice.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM

I got sick of losing or breaking expensive ones so now I just get the $10 ones at Long's or Walgreen's. I really liked the Ray Ban and Serengiti ones I had to.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 PM

I like good sunglasses, but wear them rarely, mostly because I don't take care of them and I dislike wearing contacts. I recently bought a nice pair of Raybans with prescription lenses that set me back $300 or so.

I wore them for a week before my vacation and loved them. The first day of vacation, after being in the ocean for 10 minutes with my 6 yr old, they were washed from my face as a wave capsized us. bad beat I guess
Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 PM

SC,

Same thing as DrNo for me. I've had a couple of $100+ ones and liked them a lot, but I ended up losing/breaking them. Now I just buy a bunch of pairs ranging from $10 to $40 and lose/break them throughout the year. Macy's often has sales where you can pick up semi-decent Fossil and similar sunglasses for $15-20.

Maui Jim is one expensive brand that everyone I know who has bought them loves.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM

i also have a pretty thin face, but have found that there are several oakley styles that fit very well. currently i have the fives 3.0, which i really like.

i think you can find them for about $70 w/out polarized lenses.

also, the oakley mag four S sunglasses are built for a thin face, but i don't think they look as good as the fives.

secondly, if you're going to buy some shades and want to save some dough, i recommend checking out the sunglass section of backcountry outlet . they don't always have the widest range of color choices, but you can usually save about 50%.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Ah, Fossil is a good idea. I like the look of a lot of their stuff. These look kinda cool - and they're $38.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM

After doing the cheap route for years, my friend talked me into buying a pair of Arnette's. I loved them so much that I've since bought a few more pairs.

My main reason for not buying expensive ones was like you with you, my face is skinny and small and most look way too big on me. There are some Arnette's that fit me perfectly though.

First pair was $80, second was $100
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM

SC,

If you are on Macy's email list, you get a 20-25% off store coupon every few months. Oftentimes all the Fossils like that will be on sale for $24-28 or so, so you can get them for about $20.