Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: If You\'re a Christian who Believes in Evolution..

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe in both evolution and the bible,..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would any entity capable of creating the universe look like humans? It wouldn't need a nose. It wouldn't need to breathe. Whose gases in outer space are poisonous. Why would it need feet? Why would it be only three dimensional? It ought to be multi-dimensional, capable of traveling faster than the speed of light.

Besides the Jews stole the stories in the bible from the Sumerians.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Science tells us that our species has been around for at least 200,000 years. Presumably we were sinning and had many of the same bad habits as we did when Christ was born.

Question: Why did God wait some 198,000 years before sending Jesus down to save humanity?

You might think this is a silly question, but man was just as sinful before Jesus as he is now. How do you explain why the first 198,000 years of sinning was overlooked by God?

You can't say He just got fed up one day and decided to do something about it, because we're still sinning today. If Jesus ended sin, I might buy that argument. But since there is still sin, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait 198,000 years, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know when you view a very long clip in a media player how hard it is to skip to a certain time? That's pretty much how hard it is. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Just what is 198000 years to God?

Thus, Armageddon's timing and the timing of other assorted events can only be "approximate" at best.

Or perhaps he was too busy wiping out the previous species of intelligent beings who were pissing him off. We all know dinosaurs were also godless idol worshiping heathens. It might be likely that the Neanderthals might be part of this group.

But as a serious response, the story says that sin didn't really end, you have to accept Jesus who died for your sins [that you have and will have commited]In fact, it's pretty much given that people will be sinning until Aramgeddon regardless if they are Christian or not because alone humanity cannot escape sin; thus Jesus must be the substitute for everyone. It's not until the final boss is defeated before we can all escape. If he had just ended sinning when he died, then the religion wouldn't really sell well, would it? It's one big long guilt trip, basically.

Edit: Yea, I'm not a theist, but I just wanted to point out why a Christian would not necessarily see the death of Christ to end all sin.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Humans do have souls if we didn't have them, if we were entirely physical, then we couldn never know it.

In this story by Dennis J. De Haan it shows a little boy with a soul:

"A father took his family to a restaurant. Before the meal, his 6-year-old son prayed, "Thank You for the food, and I would even thank You more if Mom got us ice cream. Amen!"

Amid the laughter, a woman nearby said indignantly, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream!" The lad overheard her and burst into tears. Just then an elderly gentleman came by, winked at the boy, and whispered to him, "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

When dessert came, the boy picked up his sundae, walked to the lady's table, and set it before her. With a big smile he said, "This is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes, and my soul is good already."

This young boy showed the kind of selfless humility that Jesus talked about in Matthew 18. When the disciples asked Him, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He said that we must emulate the humility and trust of little children (vv.1-4)."

The moral actions of the little boy show me he had a soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, if we can use examples like that, hitler and the 3rd reich killed 6 million jews along with millions of other minorities, this proves to me that there is no god. if we can use single examples as proof of anything incorporeal, then mine seems to outweigh yours.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 PM

Vander Lugt has this to say about God's transcendence over creation:

The eternal God is transcendent, not part of creation. God's existence cannot be "proven" in the way that science can prove or disprove a fact about the material world ( see Hebrews 11:1 ). We are spiritual beings , created in God's image, aware of our own existence, and capable of choice. If we choose to believe that there is no God and that the universe is just a fantastically complex accident,our choice will inevitably lead to the conclusion that life is absurd and without meaning. To live without meaning is a hopeless struggle at best, and always ends in despair. But if we believe in the God of the Bible, we not only have a reason to believe in life's meaningfulness, but we also have the assurance of seeing the kingdom of God with our own eyes.

For the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity and whose name is holy says, "I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones" (see Isaiah 57:15).
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there is do doubt that there was sin for some time before Jesus came. I, and most Christians believe that the death of Jesus covered all sins (both those before and after Jesus came). Therefore, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't have mattered when Jesus came. So I think the answer to your question, "Why did God wait 198,000 years to send Jesus?", is "why not?"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is something i never got, if jesus absolved all sins, why do people still theoretically go to hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to explain it imo:
Jesus is your Get Out of Hell Free card. However, there are certain things you must do [as listed in the Bible] to use it. And of course you must believe in it for it to work.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Humans do have souls if we didn't have them, if we were entirely physical, then we couldn never know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flawless analysis.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Your example furyshade just shows he had evil in his soul not that souls don't exist.

Atheists like to contend God doesn't exist because distressing events occur in this world. Imagine how injust everything would be if God didn't exist and Hitler didn't have to face him in an afterlife.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your example furyshade just shows he had evil in his soul not that souls don't exist.

Atheists like to contend God doesn't exist because distressing events occur in this world. Imagine how injust everything would be if God didn't exist and Hitler didn't have to face him in an afterlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying that it was just for millions to die because hitler was punished?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would be great except Hitler is [censored] hot bitches in Heaven right now.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM

No I never said it was just for people to die. You are twisting things. I said I trust in God to do what is right regarding Hitler. If there's no God then Hitler didn't face judgment for all of his actions.