Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Christians/Jews - Who should be more concerned?

[ QUOTE ]
If the following statement is representative of the LDS
"church":

“We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all
mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and
ordinances of the Gospel.”

then, it is contrary to the gospel preached by the apostle
Paul:

e.g., to the Church of Ephesus, Paul wrote:

Eph 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and
this not from youselves, it is the gift of God -- not by
works, so that no one can boast.

and to the Church at Galatia:

Gal 1:6-8

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one
who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a
different gospel which is really no gospel at all.
Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and
are trying to pervert the gospel of Jesus Christ. But even
if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other
than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally
condemned!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormon’s believe that all men have been saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ through faith, sans some son’s of perdition. However, Mormon’s do believe in a combination of faith and works, as clarified in the portions of the bible written chronologically after the epistles of Paul:

1) Faith without works is dead - James 2-17

2)What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? James 2-14

3) The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work. 1 Peter 1-17

4) And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5-29

5) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
Matthew 25:41-46
Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Except it isn't valid to infer design from appearance of design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truly wondrous.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks

now we've sorted that, lets deal we can get on with the meat of the problem. in your own time ...

chez
Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the following statement is representative of the LDS
"church":

“We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all
mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and
ordinances of the Gospel.”

then, it is contrary to the gospel preached by the apostle
Paul:

e.g., to the Church of Ephesus, Paul wrote:

Eph 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and
this not from youselves, it is the gift of God -- not by
works, so that no one can boast.

and to the Church at Galatia:

Gal 1:6-8

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one
who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a
different gospel which is really no gospel at all.
Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and
are trying to pervert the gospel of Jesus Christ. But even
if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other
than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally
condemned!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormon’s believe that all men have been saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ through faith, sans some son’s of perdition. However, Mormon’s do believe in a combination of faith and works, as clarified in the portions of the bible written chronologically after the epistles of Paul:

1) Faith without works is dead - James 2-17

2)What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? James 2-14

3) The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work. 1 Peter 1-17

4) And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5-29

5) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
Matthew 25:41-46

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Contrast this with the parts of the Bible that say faith without works is just fine, and you have a contradiction.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Quite honestly I didn't read the whole thread...its so long...but you have to realize that the Christians sprung from the Jews and then spread to parts of Greece and other areas of the world...Peter, Paul, Jesus, all of the 12 apostles were Jews...Paul was a student of one of the greatest Jewish teachers of all time...Jesus even in one of the old Testament books told the Christians how to get out of Jerusalem when it fell under the Romans onslaught several decades later...If you are seriously interested in someone's investigative journalism on this topic then pick up a copy of <u>The Case for Christ</u> ...A strongly agnostical Harvard Law School trained journalist examined the divinity of Christ from the psychological, the physical, the authenticity of ancient texts, and many, many other angles...Just to read the a physician's interpretation of the medical signs is very interesting in this book...To speak nothing of the fingerprint evidence it relates...Wish you well on your search!