Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Christians/Jews - Who should be more concerned?

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't you ask the same question about Christians and Mormons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good point. Only that Mormonism sprouted from a 19th-century prophet, and Christians realize the silliness of God-inspired prophets when they are set against a more modern backdrop where historical records shed more light on the context of the prophet's emergence. But a 2000-year old prophet/lord has the luxury of fewer historical records and context and somehow fits okay with the perceived superstitious silliness of the age.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I don’t see this as the same thing at all, at least among current day Mormons. Mormons believe in Jesus Christ. They believe that they received through revelation, the true gospel as originated with Jesus, and that Catholics and Protestants are only slightly off.

Jews don’t believe in Christ because Jesus Christ didn’t fulfil a single messianic prophesy, among other reasons foretold in the Old Testament. Furthermore, hardly anyone ( if any one) noticed Jesus during his lifetime. Where, according to the Jews, some 2 or 3 million people heard the voice of God and that is why Judaism has preserved over the ages.

Jews have far more logical backing than Mormons or Christians.

edit - this is from a Mormon perspective. Mormon's don't see themselves much differently then Christians. I'm not speaking from a Christian perspective that might see Mormons hugely different from themselves.

I just see Christians and Mormons as hugely separated from Jews.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I don’t see this as the same thing at all, at least among current day Mormons. Mormons believe in Jesus Christ. They believe that they received through revelation, the true gospel as originated with Jesus, and that Catholics and Protestants are only slightly off....

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it backwards. It is:

Jews : Christians :: Christians : Mormons

Not:

Jews : Christians :: Mormons: Christians
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. I don’t see this as the same thing at all, at least among current day Mormons. Mormons believe in Jesus Christ. They believe that they received through revelation, the true gospel as originated with Jesus, and that Catholics and Protestants are only slightly off....

Not:

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaj,

My old chemistry text books and math books use a different nomenclature then the colon nomenclature that you are using. I’m old man, can you speak English to me so that I can properly rebut you.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Not:

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaj,

My old chemistry text books and math books use a different nomenclature then the colon nomenclature that you are using. I’m old man, can you speak English to me so that I can properly rebut you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jews are to Christians as Christians are to Mormons. Jews and Christians share the same foundation, but diverge starting with Christian's belief in Jesus as Son of God. Christians and Mormons share the same foundation, but diverge starting with Mormon's belief in Joseph Smith as Prophet of God. So debating the Jesus issue (as it concerns Mormons) is missing the point and would be like Christians and Jews debating about Moses, not about Jesus.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jews are to Christians as Christians are to Mormons. Jews and Christians share the same foundation, but diverge starting with Christian's belief in Jesus as Son of God. Christians and Mormons share the same foundation, but diverge starting with Mormon's belief in Joseph Smith as Prophet of God. So debating the Jesus issue (as it concerns Mormons) is missing the point and would be like Christians and Jews debating about Moses, not about Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaj, Your statement looks correct. However, I would say that Christians are not to Jews as Christians are to Mormons.
Christians believe in the basic tenants of Judaism, because Christians believe in the Old Testament. Jews adamantly don’t believe in Christianity, simply because Jesus met none of the standards of the Christ as foretold in the Jewish Bible.

Therefore, Jews totally reject Christ, whereas Mormons accept Christians.

Now that I've clarified, perhaps we are saying the same thing? Or not?

edit - Incidently, by saying that Christians are not to Jews as Christians are to Mormons, I’m not denying the antecedent, I’m pretty sure I double checked my logic here. It's getting late.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaj, Your statement looks correct. However, I would say that Christians are not to Jews as Christians are to Mormons.
Christians believe in the basic tenants of Judaism, because Christians believe in the Old Testament. Jews adamantly don’t believe in Christianity, simply because Jesus met none of the standards of the Christ as foretold in the Jewish Bible.

Therefore, Jews totally reject Christ, whereas Mormons accept Christians....

[/ QUOTE ]

I said Jews are to Christians as Christians are to Mormons, NOT Christians are to Jews as Christians are to Mormons. Jews totally reject Christ just like Christians totally reject Joseph Smith.

And what do you mean "Mormons accept Christians"? They don't believe they are saved or God's chosen people based on what I've read of Mormonism. So how do they differ compared to Christians views of Jews?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said Jews are to Christians as Christians are to Mormons,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, calm down, I agreed with this.

[ QUOTE ]
NOT Christians are to Jews as Christians are to Mormons

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course if you read my post at all you would see I’m not disputing this. I said Christians are Not to Jews as Christians are to Mormons.

[ QUOTE ]
And what do you mean "Mormons accept Christians"? They don't believe they are saved or God's chosen people based on what I've read of Mormonism. So how do they differ compared to Christians views of Jews?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who’s they? Mormon’s believe they are God’s chosen people, along with other Christians that believe in Christ.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who’s they? Mormon’s believe they are God’s chosen people, along with other Christians that believe in Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is news to me. I can't corroborate based on quick Google... do you have a source?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is news to me. I can't corroborate based on quick Google... do you have a source?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Kaj. I can give you the name of my Mormon Bishop as long as he gives me permision. No other source at the moment. What exactly are you doubting? If you think that Mormons don't believe they are God's chosen people, then no problem, it will take me 2 minutes in my Book of mormon to give you a source. If you think Mormons don't believe other Christians are chosen and saved on their belief, then it will be more work for me.