Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Default My Screen Scrolls Weird/Slow

So since my laptop crashed, I set my desktop back up. I'm not doing much multi-tabling now, so I only hooked up 1 monitor (it's a Dell). I know I have a dual video card.

Since setting it up the screen scrolls very strangely. It used to just page down quickly when I hit the scroll bar. Now it like flickers (laps) 2 or 3 times for each scroll. It's scrolling down, but taking longer and going through this overlapping process. It's driving me nuts.

I think I've installed every drive I can think of from the CDs I have. Btw- How come all these driver CDs don't have names that allow you to tell what they're for? They're just labeled "Sappire", or "Aureal", "Audigy", etc. How am I supposed to know exactly what they're for if they don't say soundcard, or video card, etc.?

Anyway, would someone be able to tell me what this problem is? I've never seen this before. Usually you just plug a the monitor and it's fine. This is the only problem I'm having. I've checked all my settings too and they also look fine. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: My Screen Scrolls Weird/Slow

Sounds like a video card driver issue. Your best bet is to figure out what video card you have, go to the website and download the most recent drivers.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks Spratman,

I checked my devices in my Device manager and did find under "other devices" something called, "video controller" with a yellow question mark and excaimation point. So I think you're right.

The problem is, it doesn't know what kind of video card or driver is needed. Can you tell me how I can determine this? I had someone set up the computer for me about a year ago. I don't have their number anymore and have no idea what kind of video card they put in (although I do know she changed it from a standard to a dual card).
Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Well here are a couple thoughts:

Can you use windows update to find the correct driver? If not, the safest way is probably to get a model number/chipset from the card but you will most likely have to take it out to do this.

I have had this problem before and have gone the lazy route. You could just try installing ati and nvidia chipset drivers (ie the nvidia forceware drivers). My recollection is that for one of them at least the driver will not install if it cannot find appropriate hardware. I don't recall which company has the larger market share (and don't know if this varies by geography), nvidia perhaps?

I have switched between ati and nvidia cards without uninstalling the drivers or doing anything funky, but I have also heard some 'horror stories' where there were conflicts and elaborate uninstall procedures were required just to warn you.

just hit up the nvidia/ati homepages. Nvidia I know also has some scan which can help find the correct chipset driver.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM

A couple options:

1) Start > Run. Type "dxdiag" and hit OK. There should be a tab for your displays, click one. It should list your video card. This will only work if you have DirectX installed on your computer (Try it if you're unsure.)

2) Download a program that scans your system configuration.
i.e. http://www.download.com/3000-2094_4-10634930.html

3) If comfortable, you can always open the case and pop the card out and look at it. If you're not comfortable, don't.

4) If none of those work, I have another way thats a little complicated. Fire me a PM and I'll explain it.

Good luck!