Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

oh i see, yeah that makes sense, i never cut cups but this year we didnt cut them everyday so i guess that was never a problem, but yeah that would probably be a downside
Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I could prolly think of 5-10 more but thats plenty, and they may sound obv but people making less than 10$ an hr that are not golfers don't rly give a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about someone who had no idea how to do it. I guess I should've clarified that. I meant for someone who has done it before, it should be very simple. I don't know, I like doing it. It's an easy job that takes a good chunk of the morning when you take your time and do it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about people that do it on a regular basis :-) Prolly a lot less likely to happen at nicer courses though.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I know why this is, when cutting the holes in the morning, the worker simply works backwards and takes the pin from #18 to #17, #17 to #16 and so on. It's easy. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I get sick and tired of knowing where every pin is going to be after I play the first hole. To make matters worse, my home course has 3 par 3's on the back nine, #11, 14 and 17. So the pin is always the same on every par 3! That bites.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually this drives me crazy too for some reason. Particularly when the par 3s happen to have the same flags every time because they're spaced three holes apart or whatever. I don't like that a lot of courses basically only have three setups because of this and wish there was more variety. But I suspect we are in an overwhelming minority; most people either wouldn't notice this or wouldn't care, so nothing is done about it. I see some courses try to add "some" variety to their sets by using 1-2-3 zones and not just rotating them, actually staggering them on some holes. But still, it means only three setups. The GPS company I was familiar with actually had six hole locations on each hole which would rotate throughout the week. But yeah, if you played on Sunday and then the next Saturday, you would see the same set.

Also, very few clubs out here are closed on Mondays, only some of the country clubs but not all of them, so the thing about flags being the same each day of the week isn't valid here.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM

yeah the club i work at isnt really closed but there are private shotgun tourneys every monday which dont start until the afternoon. it is closed in the morning though so many members dont even get to play the pins for mondays