Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Home game on Staten Island

This Friday at the Staten Island Academy there is a benefit tournament being run. $100 buy with rebuys (ugh) for the first hour. Doors open at 7p and the cards fly at 8p.

I know this will be a TOTAL disaster from a poker perspective but I'm thinking of going anyway. It supports a college fund for a 9/11 fireman's children and maybe I can get my fix without driving the two hours to AC this weekend.

I don't have any information about starting chips or blind structures. I just saw the ad in the newspaper.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Home game on Staten Island

Advertising specifics such as location, date and time aren't the smartest thing in the world- have we not been paying attention to the news recently?

I know they are advertising it, but don't add to their mistake... and you should check out the security details before going, since it's being openly advertised.

(btw, we raid clubs in NYC but charity games for cash are still allowed? Politicians are MAINLINING crack....)
Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM

My understanding is that this game is %100 legal. They have 1/4 page ads in the largest newspaper on the Island. This is no different than the Bingo game run at your local church.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM

this game is being advertised on the internet, so I'd think this thread is ok
Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM

There's nothing wrong with this thread of course. But I'm with LL that it seems potentially irresponsible of them to put this on, essentially saying "there's going to be hundreds of people each with hundreds of dollars at this place at this time".

One could HOPE that they are taking property security measures but this is one time it would be bad to assume. Mostly since the people putting it on may not play poker at all and just thought of the poker boom and figured this could be a handy way to raise some money. In other words, they could be disastrously naive.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM

tuq...tbh I hadn't thought of that and can understand where you guys are coming from. If you were from around here though, you would probably see the humor in this a bit more clearly. There is almost ZERO chance of any event at this location being robbed. There are ummm.....a lot of really good friends associated with this school who look out for one another.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 AM

I invited the guy who brings his glock to his home game.

and anyone who robs an event that goes to a cause as noble as that one, will get bumrushed Flight 93 stylee.