Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Ohio State @ Michigan Thread (11/17/07)

I know this doesn't make much sense in grand scheme of things but I think for the sake of the rivalry it would have been so great if Michigan had won today.

Carry an "incompetent" coach off into the sunset on their shoulders after he somehow "willed" his team to a win over a vastly superior team.

Also, I was hoping Mallett would play more than one [censored] series. When even Herbie and Brent are picking up on the fact that Mallett is bringing life to the offense a change is definitely in order, no?

[/drunk rant]
Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. I've lived in Big 12 country for 5 years, he's one of the biggest chokers I've ever seen. He can pull off the occasional upset against a good team but thats about it. LLLLLLoyd was at least fairly consistent . He's 1 game below .500 against Ohio State. Yet you think it can't get worse?

[/ QUOTE ]
It cracks me up that OSU fans are suddenly bringing up Lloyd's whole career to support a point when all they've been saying lately is how badly he sucks because he can't beat Tressel. Everyone's biggest complaint about Carr is his refusal to modernize. What worked for him so well in the 90's simply does not anymore. You really want Michigan having a coach running a modern offense? If that's what you want, I'll take it.

That said, next year is looking ugly. I will give you that without argument.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was hoping Mallett would play more than one [censored] series. When even Herbie and Brent are picking up on the fact that Mallett is bringing life to the offense a change is definitely in order, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Mallett is *awful*. Like, thoroughly, throw the ball all over the field in any direction except where the receivers are supposed to be awful. He has a great arm...and that's pretty much all I've seen from him all year. The guy broke 50% completions in two games this year, 11 for 20 vs. Minnesota (lol) and 16 for 29 against Penn State. Yes, he's a freshman QB, and yes, I know Henne had Edwards, but Manningham/Arrington are both good upperclassmen college WR's (Manningham is already a first day pick) and he's done very little with either of them.

Next year is gonna be very ugly for reasons having nothing to do with our receiving corps. There's no shortage of 6'2" receivers who can catch passes on the roster (Greg Mathews is probably the goto guy next year and he's not bad), but I'm terrified of Mallett being #1 for a year. Either he's twice as good as this year or we're 7-5.

---

Miles might not be a savior, but he can't possibly coach worse than Carr on gameday. We already know he's no Charlie Weis, so that alone ranks him as an upgrade over Carr. Regardless, the way our luck is running, LSU will win the NC and Miles will stay, which means we'll wind up with Ron English and another five years of guaranteed mediocrity. Woohoo.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, Mallett is *awful*. Like, thoroughly, throw the ball all over the field in any direction except where the receivers are supposed to be awful. He has a great arm...and that's pretty much all I've seen from him all year. The guy broke 50% completions in two games this year, 11 for 20 vs. Minnesota (lol) and 16 for 29 against Penn State. Yes, he's a freshman QB, and yes, I know Henne had Edwards, but Manningham/Arrington are both good upperclassmen college WR's (Manningham is already a first day pick) and he's done very little with either of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mallett scares me, too. Combine his problems with accuracy, with a cocky attitude, and next year could be ugly. And keep it mind we have no other viable options at QB. If Mallett doesn't improve, we are sunk.

Remember when we had back up QB's like Tom Brady and Drew Henson? Now we have Dave Cone.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate my life for the next 365 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LIVE IN COLUMBUS. [censored]
Old 11-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Mallett will be fine. Successful true freshman QB's are very few and very far between at any school. They threw him into the fire this season and they probably got more or less what they expected. This is all part of the learning process for most kids who come out of HS with a huge arm and big stats. Usually they learn it on the practice field. As much as I hate ND, look at Jimmy Clausen.

Don't get me wrong, I did not want to see him on the field today. Especially after last week. But you should expect big things from this kid, starting next year. I'm as concerned about next year as anyone, but at some point that kid's arm along with a little moxie gained from his PT this season will win a game or two for us and you'll catch a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:07 PM

YOU GUYS DO REALIZE THAT MALLETT GOT THE ONLY FIRST DOWN OF THE SECOND HALF RIGHT?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Also, I bring back up the wild scenario from Week 1.

What if App St QB Armanti Edwards transfers to Michigan? Why not hire our own "Juice"?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Miles might not be a savior, but he can't possibly coach worse than Carr on gameday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think there are a whole lot of Michigan fans who think Miles is the savior. But I think most everyone agrees it's time for Lloyd to go.

I don't understand the "lolz oh boy, you're losing legendary and talented coach Lloyd Carr and bringing in Miles, now you guys are doomed!!11!!!! lolz!!" Buckeye fan narrative. I mean, c'mom, despite what TomCollins says, there's no one who can claim with a straight face that Lloyd --> Miles is a serious downgrade. It's especially disingenuous because OSU fans have rightfully recognized Lloyd's mediocrity for years now.

And again, as I've said in other threads, I think Michigan fans are excited for Miles because it's hard to get excited about any of the other oft-named candidates. If your choices are Mike DeBord, Kirk Ferentz, or Les Miles, then frankly, Les Miles starts to look pretty good in comparison.

It's Michigan. We're going to do something incestuous. We're probably not going to drive a Saban-sized pile of money to Bob Stoops's or Steve Spurrier's or Bill Cowher's doorstep and come beg them to coach for us. Chances are good that we're going to bring in someone who coached or played under Bo/Lloyd (in other words, DeBord/Miles/Tragovac/English), or someone who the administrators know and like and have hired before (Ferentz). I wish the Michigan AD was different, but chances are pretty good the list of potential coaches are limited to someone In The Family. That's not a very big list, and alot of the names on it are already proven failures (DeBord, who ran Central Michigan into the ground as HC) or have absolutely no track record (Tragovac/English). I fully concede that Miles may be a total moron, but unless Michigan does something completely unexpected, he's our best option.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM

For Michigan fans who think that they can't do worse than Carr, I thought I'd mention Earle Bruce (good ol' 9-3 Earl) and the wonderful John Cooper that replaced him.

Be careful what you ask for.