Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 AM

Default A bluff

Villain is 34/25/3
He's raised my bb to $5 every time it's been folded to him. I called once and he check folded, rr once, he called and c/f the flop but have otherwise haven't played back at him from the bb.

We played one significant pot when I reraised him from the button with JJ, checked top set behind on the flop and he turned a set of kings. Obv, we got it all in (he potted the turn and river).

He got another stack (not mine) when he potted an OESD on the flop turned the str8 and potted the turn and river against some moron.

$0.50/$1 Blinds - 5 Players

SB: $332.35
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $100.00</font>
UTG: $105.50
CO: $38.55
BTN: $97.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $5.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $15.00</font>, SB calls $10.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $19.00</font>, SB calls $19.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($68) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($68) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $66.00

How is my line? (I think my pfr is too big) What's the minimum hand he should call me down with? What does my hand look like? If it's not a good bluff, what makes it bad?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: A bluff

I don't think your PFR is to big. After reading your post I feel like you would like to just take it down here and you raised partly because he has been trying to steal your blinds a good deal of time. You are also trying to say "You can't raise my blinds all the time buddy."

You do pose the question what hand he should be calling you down with. I think a bette question would be what hand he can call your RR OOP with. I am sure his range may be a little wider from his stats than other players but I feel like he is calling with AJ+/AT+ and pocket pairs. I don't really feel like he is calling with a lot of other speculative hands here because he is OOP and it is going to be hard for him to play those hands. He pretty much needs to hit the flop hard for him to continue on.

I interpret your hand after the turn as a missed "CBet" (Whatever that means. I am [censored] smashed and this is the first time I have offered advice drunk/semi-drunk. Maybe semi-drunk cuse I can type pretty well) but at the same time I think your river bet only gets him to fold a missed draw. I think he would of bet out on the river and valuebet a lot of hands here. So I think your river push is just a leak. I think you could accomplish the same thing (have him fold hands on the river) with a smaller bet.

So I am smashed and don't know if this is good advice. If its not MSG and punch me in the nuts in the morning.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 AM

he'll often fold a J and he may fold QQ, though not always

you represent AK pretty decently imo, so he'd call w/ anything that beats a pair of Ks

if he's the type to snap off he'll call w/ more, since you're line is obviously a bluff sometimes, but it's not a bad one, since it's pretty believable
Old 05-27-2007, 03:41 AM

not bad. reaks of AK. pfr is standard size.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:52 AM

i like. PFRR is fine/too small if anything.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 AM

I think this play is +EV. I'd imagine the only thing that you lose to is like KQ or KJs.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks. I'm glad this line didn't completely suck. He called with AQ which wasn't what I was hoping for obv, though, it worked out nicely. I guess it was a value bluff....lol.

As for the pfr comment, I tend to vary my rr size based on some different factors, table dynamics, position etc. I raise 1 or 2 bb's less generally when I'm in position, for example, so I guess I like something like 13 or 14 a little bit better than 15 here.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:08 PM

You merge goot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]