Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: 2007-2008 NBA MVP

Very surprised to see one of the front-runners left out thus far: T-Mac. It's pretty obvious he is the man when he's active, and when he goes down the Rockets can't win. I don't know how well the Rockets will fare if it was Yao that went down but TMac has to be up there.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing in this post that didn't suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like a man who relies on logic and reason.

[ QUOTE ]
Recape: you complain that Lebron has more talent around him than Kobe (which is hilarious since his team is as good or worse at every position except maaaybe point, and his bench is worse),

[/ QUOTE ]
Whaaaaaa?
Ilgauskas is superior to the Lakers C trio. A big 7'3" C who reliably produces 15/8 w/ a couple blocks a game? Give the Lakers a year and Bynum will eclipse him imo, but right now it's not close.
Hughes is better than Walton on both ends of the floor.
Gibson is worse than Fisher imo, but it's close.

At worst, it's a push - and that's clouded by this season where the non-Kobe Lakers have looked better than they are and the non-LeBron Cavs have looked worse (except for Z).

[ QUOTE ]
you then decide that only Duncan and Nash (best supporting casts in basketball...) should be the only ones n the conversation except KG (other best supporting cast in basketball) "if" Boston wins 50+ (has to be at least even odds).

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your point? As another posted noted, we already had long thread about the best player in the NBA. The MVP is a subset of that discussion and I don't know how you can rationally get anyone into that duo (or trio) this season. Putting up silly bulk doesn't get past the fact that your team isn't that good. If the Cavs win 50, he should be in the conversation - but Duncan's probably still the Most Valuable Player for the 07/08 season. Dominant defensively (LeBron isn't even close) and changes the face of the game on offense (LeBron also does this).

No clue what you're getting at with the Boston comment. I didn't say anything about likelihood (certainly better than even odds).

[ QUOTE ]
Then you bitch about Dirk winning an award he deserved, comparing him to one of the best players at his position winning an award that he also deserved.

[/ QUOTE ]
He only deserved it if both Duncan and Nash withdrew their names from consideration and didn't alert the media. And Malone wasn't even close to deserving it in 97. Have you heard of this Jordan fellow?

[ QUOTE ]
I award you no points, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your point system will always be my guiding light.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 AM

"Hughes is better than Walton on both ends of the floor."

gg
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 PM

irishhand,

i'm better than larry hughes.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very surprised to see one of the front-runners left out thus far: T-Mac. It's pretty obvious he is the man when he's active, and when he goes down the Rockets can't win. I don't know how well the Rockets will fare if it was Yao that went down but TMac has to be up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

TMac may be the driving force for the Rockets, but MVPs can't be out for 20 games a season.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Hughes is better than Walton on both ends of the floor."

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. He's so atrocious on the offensive end it's ridiculous. Even though Luke is in a little funk this season, it doesn't compare to Hughes' paltry 4 PER rating thus far.

Nice job leaving Odom out, too.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

I was replying to his comment that LAL > CLE at every position except maybe PG. Not much point in noting the obvious Odom>Gooden.

Hughes hasn't done a thing this year, so not much point mentioning his PER or any other stat. It's like saying he's averaging 6 ppg so he's a crappy scorer.

Luke Walton = solid accessory player, average defender at best
Larry Hughes = potential legit 2nd/3rd offensive option, quality defender for 2-3 positions (1 through 3)

If they had the same salary and were healthy, you seriously think Cleveland would trade Hughes for Walton straight up?

Regardless, this is all a senseless debate. Even if LAL>CLE w/o Kobe/LeBron, that doesn't mean that either deserves MVP consideration unless their team does a lot better than it has during the past couple regular seasons (and this one).
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM

"If they had the same salary and were healthy, you seriously think Cleveland would trade Hughes for Walton straight up?"

In a second. Well, not under some definitions of healthy.

Hughes is one of the worst players in the NBA. Not one of the worst starters for a contender, worst players period.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 PM

I think Larry Hughes could be better than he is for the Cavs, but it's so obvious he's such a poor fit there. He needs a Nellie ball type of system. Even still, he only had that one season where he was better than average, really.

And as for the "they need to do much better", you're basically conceding that the MVP award is a function of the team's performance. Which historically is true, but it's dumb. Not that Duncan and Nash aren't great, but you think you throw either of those guys in LBJ's place the Cavs become a 60 win team like the Suns or Spurs? No way. They both have incredible supporting casts.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM

wtf IrishHand seriously