Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, this is America, and many Americans that dislike group of people use selective history to paint the entire group with the same brush as if to justify their hate. How ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about? For starters, all people do this, not just Americans, it's called bias. But, who is doing this in the thread? My reason for mentioning the crusades is that they were following the letter of the Law as outlined in the magical book you all point to.

If your God intentionally created entire nations of people that he knew would not believe in Him and get destroyed, then I don't want to follow his lead and neither should anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never implied that only Americans acted like that, hardly.

My "god" is irrelevant in conversation because I'm not even sure if one exists. Of course, it shouldn't have been relevent even if I did believe in one, but whatever. If you read the entire thread you would know that I am an agnostic. My previous posts stated simply stated that there are Christians that support what you say, and Christians that are altruistic (read previous posts for citing). If you can't see this then there is no help for you, and I won't pleasure you with another post. I am attacking the way people like you seem to paint all Christians with the same brush. You seem to cite the specific passages in Bible to prove a point? What is your point? It is in the Bible therefore all Christians believe we should murder everyone? Get real. Certain sects of Christianity believe that every passage in the Bible is should be taken literally (I can see your point if you believe all Christians think like this) while others believe that much of the Bible was written by man and favor a much looser translation. Even then, there are individuals in these sects that have thier own beliefs. In most religions you find passages that contradict each other. Some can be interpreted that war is good, some would say war is wrong, even in the Bible. This is why most religious practitioners in the 21st century have to pick and choose passages that fit their beliefs. This is why you find anti-war Christians, pro-war Christians, liberal Christians, conservative Christians, Christians that believe they should convert everyone, christians that don't etc etc.

Francis of Assisi was anti-war who did not believe in forced conversion who drew his inspiration from the Bible. Of course, he does not fit your disturbing view of Christians so I guess he isn't relevant in this conversation. I guess the Christians that influenced classical liberalism and humanism aren't relevent to you eithier. (Kant's Golden Rule "Do unto others" was taken straight from the Bible, which influenced the untilitarians view of the harm principle, a moral concept still found in secular society)

I've given plenty of examples throughout history of Christians that don't fit the examples you put them in, which also followed the passages of the bible. (please look at previous posts) But no, your attack against a relgion is to find specific passages that most of the practitioners no longer follow. Do you spend this much time discrediting Muslims and Buddhists? I highly doubt it, because judging by the harshness of your post I'm not surprised that your parents forced religion on you and this is your way of getting back at them (this is my exprerience with most atheists, after all, your arguments can be applied to all religions, yet you chose a specific one, you obviously have some specific spite towards this religion caused by who knows what)
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM

"Certain sects of Christianity believe that every passage in the Bible is should be taken literally (I can see your point if you believe all Christians think like this) while others believe that much of the Bible was written by man and favor a much looser translation."

Don't you realize how silly this sounds and how pointless it makes the Bible? Here is the truth about Christianity: you guys were all indoctrinated into it and now you go around answering every question or criticism of your religion with "well maybe, this is why" when there is no logical basis to do so. I want to scream in your ear, "No, stop saying "well maybe this is why" or "well, that is debatable" and actually give a straight forward logical answer. If you cant give a logical answer, then admit that there are huge flaws in your belief system.

I find it impossible to respect anyone who actually believes in Jesus or views the Bible as a factual piece of literature.

I have lived in Asia for three years today and I have never been approached by an Asian person wanting to tell me about their religion, but I have been approached by other white people trying to get me to volunteer my time. Its a [censored] joke.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's called the Great Commission:

It is the explicit message of our Lord Jesus Christ to those whom He has saved that they are sent forth by Him into the world even as He was sent forth of His Father into the world. After they are saved, they are divinely reckoned to be related to this world as strangers and pilgrims, ambassadors and witnesses, and that their primary purpose in life should be to make Jesus Christ known to the whole world (Matt. 28:18–19; Mark 16:15; John 17:18; Acts 1:8; 2 Cor. 5:18–20; 1 Pet. 1:17; 2:11).

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon, those are boring passages for pussy Christians. I like these better:

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword."

"...he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded."

[/ QUOTE ]

Your use of adjectives to describe a whole group of people is quite distasteful. Really shows your age. Nice.

We are also talking about the whole world, not one particular city.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you read the entire thread you would know that I am an agnostic.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was not and am not trying to debate you directly on anything. I don't really care what you believe in to be honest, it's not my business.

[ QUOTE ]
My previous posts stated simply stated that there are Christians that support what you say

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly is it that I said? You seem to be jamming an awful lot of thoughts about Christianity into my mouth.

[ QUOTE ]
I am attacking the way people like you seem to paint all Christians with the same brush. You seem to cite the specific passages in Bible to prove a point? What is your point?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't paint anyone. I expressed my opinion that the Old Testament is absurd rubbish. Brad asked what led us to believe God didn't want the whole world to hear, that was my answer. Do either of you have a refutation? Or are you going to continue dodging because you don't like the words I chose?

[ QUOTE ]
It is in the Bible therefore all Christians believe we should murder everyone? Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pls to be showing me where I said this.

[ QUOTE ]
Francis of Assisi was anti-war who did not believe in forced conversion who drew his inspiration from the Bible. Of course, he does not fit your disturbing view of Christians so I guess he isn't relevant in this conversation. I guess the Christians that influenced classical liberalism and humanism aren't relevent to you eithier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have a disturbing view of Christians. Do I think people who take the Bible literally are morons? Yes, I do. But we seem to mostly agree (aside from my choosing the word "moron") on that so, again I have no idea what you are talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
But no, your attack against a relgion is to find specific passages that most of the practitioners no longer follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? Again, if I am attacking anything, it's how absurd and ridiculous parts of the Old Testament are. That is all. Obviously not everyone takes it literally.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you spend this much time discrediting Muslims and Buddhists?

[/ QUOTE ]
If all my friends were Muslim instead of Christian maybe I would spend more time poking holes in their BS. I am not trying to discredit anyone specifically, religious people do a good job of that without my assistance.

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt it, because judging by the harshness of your post I'm not surprised that your parents forced religion on you and this is your way of getting back at them (this is my exprerience with most atheists, after all, your arguments can be applied to all religions, yet you chose a specific one, you obviously have some specific spite towards this religion caused by who knows what)

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. What on earth? Was my post judged as harsh because I used the p-word? Give me a break. And my parents didn't force anything on me, they let me come to my own conclusions, not that it's any of your business. Again, I have no idea what makes you think I am singling out Christianity. You don't have a very big sample size and you seem to be ascribing a great number of ideas and opinions to me that I am not in possession of.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your use of adjectives to describe a whole group of people is quite distasteful. Really shows your age. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
You reading comprehension appears to be quite distasteful too. I was not describing an entire group of anyone. I want you to stop picking and choosing the nice parts of the Bible and acknowledge what your God *commands* you to do. Faith-shaking stuff here, so I 100% expect more dodges like this.

Why would an all-knowing and benevolent God create entire nations of people when he knew they would suffer and be destroyed? Amorites, Hittites, Chinese, Indians, all of 'em.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You reading comprehension appears to be quite distasteful too. I was not describing an entire group of anyone. I want you to stop picking and choosing the nice parts of the Bible and acknowledge what your God *commands* you to do. Faith-shaking stuff here, so I 100% expect more dodges like this.

Why would an all-knowing and benevolent God create entire nations of people when he knew they would suffer and be destroyed? Amorites, Hittites, Chinese, Indians, all of 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a question asked (sort of), which I answered with a satifactory Biblical answer. You then came back & made an uncalled for snide remark. So, once again, who's being distasteful??

Additionally, during the times of the Amorites, Hittites, etc there were prophets of the Old Testament preaching the gospel. They had their chance. The Chinese people are being witnessed to in today's times same as the Indians in India. So they are having their chance now. Everybody has the opportunity, whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a question asked (sort of), which I answered with a satifactory Biblical answer. You then came back & made an uncalled for snide remark. So, once again, who's being distasteful??

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for using the word pussy. The verses you pointed out are very nice and flowery when compared to the blood and guts versions that occur earlier in the Bible. That is all. At no point did I say that all Christians are pussies (or anything for that matter).

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, during the times of the Amorites, Hittites, etc there were prophets of the Old Testament preaching the gospel. They had their chance. The Chinese people are being witnessed to in today's times same as the Indians in India. So they are having their chance now. Everybody has the opportunity, whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did? Put yourself in the shoes of the Amorites for a second, how could they possibly discern between the "true" Christian prophets and all of the other people who claimed to know what was going on at the time? Seems like a big confusing mess that an all-knowing God would be understanding of, no? Also, what good is a chance if God already knows we won't take it?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Seeing as your chinese american i would like your opinion on an observation i have made in the last week. Cornell is probabaly 50% white and 20-30% Asian and i went to a few christian group fairs/info sessions and there were typically more asians (mix of international,first gen, 2nd gen. etc) than there were whites. Im curious what your thought is on this observation in this specific context.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for using the word pussy. The verses you pointed out are very nice and flowery when compared to the blood and guts versions that occur earlier in the Bible. That is all. At no point did I say that all Christians are pussies (or anything for that matter).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They did? Put yourself in the shoes of the Amorites for a second, how could they possibly discern between the "true" Christian prophets and all of the other people who claimed to know what was going on at the time? Seems like a big confusing mess that an all-knowing God would be understanding of, no? Also, what good is a chance if God already knows we won't take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, I restate that they had the opportunity. Just as we today have the opportunity. I did not say they were forced to take it, just that the Word was presented to them. It is up to each person to decide for themselves. The Bible says there will be false prophets, always has been, always will be.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody has the opportunity , whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true.