Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
WTF does Brett Hull know about being a GM?

Garth Snow did an ok job with the Isles, but they were such a mess that he couldn't make it any worse. The Stars are a very good team that can be ruined by a couple of bad moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garth Snow has made some abysmal mistakes, but he seems to have developed himself a strategy for buying low on certain players, and it's working.

Armstrong was not very good, but I suspect his failure is partly on ownership and partly on scouting. It's tough to find players that low in the draft. But while a team like New Jersey has a similar record of striking out, they've managed to sign undrafted or unsigned free agents.

The Stars will go hard after Marian Hossa this off-season.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM

[q]Atlanta is pretty terrible. I don't expect them to go anywhere. That defense is brutal.[/q]

here comes the Thrashers!

Chicago is going to be crazy good if Havlat stays uninjured this year (which he won't, obv)
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[q]Atlanta is pretty terrible. I don't expect them to go anywhere. That defense is brutal.[/q]

here comes the Thrashers!

Chicago is going to be crazy good if Havlat stays uninjured this year (which he won't, obv)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kovalchuk is carrying that team. Once he cools off, they will once again struggle for wins.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers. Oh my. Unless something I'm missing is up, this is crazy. There's no way he makes it through waivers. He's better than the starters on at least a half dozen teams and he's relatively cheap.

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?articl...p;service=page
Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers. Oh my. Unless something I'm missing is up, this is crazy. There's no way he makes it through waivers. He's better than the starters on at least a half dozen teams and he's relatively cheap.

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?articl...p;service=page

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. you have to assume if he's on waivers that anaheim tried to deal him first.

thing is, with the salary cap as it is, most teams are carrying the two goalies they want and can't really afford to add a third one who is only marginally better. i'd say there's a 25% chance he goes unclaimed.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Yeah not a chance he gets through. Phoenix would be interested, so would the Thrashers, maybe the Pens as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah not a chance he gets through. Phoenix would be interested, so would the Thrashers, maybe the Pens as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix isn't looking to get better, imo.

Thrashers and Pens each have an established young goalie, one struggling with injury, one with his play. Bringing in a veteran goalie, while salvaging this season, might sabotage their future.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kovalchuk is carrying that team. Once he cools off, they will once again struggle for wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. They really only have threats in Hossa and Kovalchuk, but Hossa's heating up (8 points in his last 5 games, not including 3 he put up tonight against Carolina in a 3-0 shutout win), and Hedberg/Paveljec are playing well enough to give them chances to win. Lehtonen's a better goalie than both (although I group Lehtonen in the same pod with Fleury -- lots of talent, but inconsistent), and should make them better when he returns.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 AM

So roughly 20 games into the season and the Devils are struggling mightily. How much of this is the loss of Gomez? I'm just trying to find another reason to hate him, just so you know.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So roughly 20 games into the season and the Devils are struggling mightily. How much of this is the loss of Gomez? I'm just trying to find another reason to hate him, just so you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if they have a new coach, but they started the year with what, 8 or 9 striaght road games before coming home to a new arena? has got to be draining on any team. they also have no scoring power, which they never really had, but elias and gionta are doing zilch so far. brodeur can only do so much.

they're also missing rafalski and brylin as well as gomez. they're D isn't that great right now.