Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 AM

Default NT!

Dear NT,

Being an abusive, but funny, [censored] moderator is the schtick of me and censored. Please find a schtick of your own. I do not think that the current attempt at a style differentiation are trying of abusive, unfunny, and [censored] works so well.

Sincerely,

citanul

PS: The above is mostly a joke. I think that in general you do a pretty good job in OOT, but I think the tone of many of your posts containing moderating decisions misses the mark of being anything other than abusive. I think that if you changed this, you'd take a lot less crap, and both OOT and ATF would be more tolerable forums.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: NT!

cit,

i have a hard time not being abusive when i answer the same complaint (about how bad one-sentence posts should be ok and if they are truly bad they will just 'drop down') two or three times a week. i'm actually not trying to be funny at all.

anyway i have heard concerns from here and PMs from moderators that i respect a lot, such as yourself, about the tone. i recently started a thread in OOT trying to tease out what people look at as constructive and desirable forum culture, and am going to be using that to move forward re: OOT. i have also tried to take a less heavy hand in OOT in recent days, although you can expect me to continue being really mean to ATF trolls who don't read or understand the OOT sticky.

i hope you guys will post in the thread in OOT if you have an opinion
Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 AM

also, i'd like to use this thread to ask again if it would be possible to write a script to check on users with low post counts coming into OOT. is the popular idea that everyone coming in gets *d actually accurate? how many of them turn out to be obvious troll accounts? etc. it would be great to be able to say, "x% of posters 'breaking in' to OOT got *d or banned, and of those, y% were spammers or gimmicks." dunno how hard this would be to write.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 AM

i actually even PM'd sniper to see if he was interested in this, in case anyone doubts my willingness to make some changes in OOT [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2007, 02:43 AM

NT,

I think you are a good mod!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:56 AM

NT!,

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, because I genuinely like you and think you do a good job. Also, I can't even post in OOT anymore.

However, I still read it everyday and that guy in AFT talking about locking threads makes a decent point. All the bad threads arent going to get responses and will just drop off. I'm not saying that the [censored] troll threads shouldn't be locked, but sometimes I've seen threads where I'm interested in the subject but it got locked very quickly. A good example is the batman one...I was pretty interested in it because I know ooters usually come up with good discussion about things I haven't heard yet; that could have been a good thread.

Anyways, just some constructive criticism, didn't mean to call you out.

-nation
Old 06-15-2007, 04:04 AM

NT,

FWIW, I think the making your bed thread could have turned into a good thread, but whatever, you should lock whatever you want. Sometimes it might not be the right move, but it's no big deal. If someone wants to discuss the topic they can put up a better OP or can ask you to reconsider and unlock. People expect far too much and are way too hypersensitive about all this stuff.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:05 AM

nation,

this is a discussion we've had many times. the bad threads encourage people to make more bad threads. and sometimes bad (but not trollish) posters in OOT respond to them, keeping them alive.

it was suggested that some 'bad' posts be allowed to live for a little while in case somebody does something really funny with them, and that's something i am trying out. but in general, the 'bad threads will die and disappear' idea has not been our experience when we take a totally laissez-faire approach to that kind of thing. see the 'somebody save oot' thread in ATF for an example of posters noticing this very phenomenon.

also, the batman one - there had already been a recent thread about the upcoming batman movie (which was basically a LOL post itself, and ended up being kinda ok) - so in that case, that thread should be bumped. i probably could have included that in my post in the thread.

no problem with constructive criticism man, i have tried to make that clear from jump street. the only thing that gets me mad is being sniped at in public in an unproductive way.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 AM

NT!

you are probably my favorite mod
Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]