Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Devastating hand...Would you make this call???

Okay so i am playing midnight madness and it is about 15 minutes until the second break, about 250 left. I just double up to 10K with a set of 6s and feel like i have complete control of my table. I am second biggest stack and they moved a guy with 20K to our table. About 3 hands later this happened.

Blinds are 120/240 i raise to 600 UTG and big stack reraises to 1440 from MP. It folds back to me. I am not even thinking about reraising. I put him on QQ or JJ and i think folding is way to weak so i make the call OOP to see a flop.

Flop comes 10 J Q, rainbow. JACKPOT flop. I check it to him knowing he will probably bet. He fires 1960. I make it 5000, he goes all in I obviously call. He flips QQ just as i suspected and turn is a 9 and river is the heart shattering J.

After the hand the table chimed in with their "WOW" and "SICK". Then the guy makes a statement i couldn't believe. He said "i KNEW he had AK, but what can I do".
I know what he could do, he can fold if he is certain that i have AK.

My question for everyone is the way i played the hand it was pretty obvious i had AK and he claimed he knew it too. My question is is it worth it to call and just pray the board fills up.

Sorry its so long, but i am was in shock and still want to cry. I was playing so so so so well and just couldn't believe he still called if he knew what i had.

Rant over but I am still crying.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Devastating hand...Would you make this call???

c'mon now
this isn't BBV
there are these things called the nuts, they are pretty good
Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 AM

Well played...who cares if it's obvious,you're putting him on a big pair, so your c/r bet was perfect because it puts him in a very tough spot to fold trips, kk aa. You got him to shove into the nutz, never a bad play, just a bad result.

--- FuggFrist, Holla10
Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM

first off all this is a bad beat post which doesn't belong here. secondly, he didn't "know" you had AK here since you probably play TT and JJ the same way so obv he's stacking of here w/ QQ. Are you folding QQ if you're in this spot?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 AM

I probably could fold QQ in this spot given the situation. I have about 10K and feel like i have a GREAT handle on the rest of the table. If i had reraised and got flat called and then check raised like what happened. I probably could have gotten away from it and left myself enough chips to do some damage. With that said i probably just flat call with TT or JJ and see what he does on turn cuz like i said he was SCREAMING QQ and then i get away from it on turn if he fires again. I know it is a bad beat post, but it is also somewhat strategy i think becaue he claimed he KNEW what i had and still shoved so i was wondering from math portion if it justified his play.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 AM

wait what? so if you'll had JJ here instead of AK you just call his flop bet, and then checkfold a blank turn? uh u serious man?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 AM

You raised AK from utg and you are a big stack. An even bigger stack sees this and raised you back...It is time to throw your hand in...you are behind. You get a flop that is hundreds to one against whilst his redraw will happen one in twelve times. The best hand at the beginning was the best hand at the end. Sadly, there are no prizes for having the best hand on the flop (the middle). You could not have thought you were winning when he popped you so you chased and that is what was wrong. There is an important lesson here. If only you want to learn it. Even a bad player can get all his chips in with the nuts but good players can let hands go that are not winning preflop. You played on preflop knowing you were taking the worst of it then you berate the other guy for doing the same on the flop. No logic to that.

There is no love like tough love.

If you do not like what I have written then here is another version:

You are magnificent and you played it magnificently, the other guy will die from cancer real young. You were so unlucky...

Oh and bad beats do not go in this forum.

All the best...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 AM

and even if he "knows" u got AK, he still getting the right price to call. He's 35% vs. AK and he only got to call about 6.5k to win 13.5k getting better than 2-1.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably could fold QQ in this spot given the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:51 AM

So lets say i had JJ or TT. I raise UTG and he reraises like he did, flop comes the exact same. Well one i probably lead into him on flop for one. No way i would check to him on scary board and then when he raised me i think it would be safe to say he has me beat and i get away from it.

So if i had JJ or TT the action would have taken place a little differently. I thought poker was all situational dude and your trying to make it a completely different situation than it is. But too your original post if i have QQ and he has AK then yes i think i am able to get away from it.