Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 AM

Default 25NL lost to a higher kicker

Hey,
Here's another hand that bugs me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Any advice would be appreciated
thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($26.75)
MP ($28.20)
Button ($12.45)
SB ($8.65)
Hero ($8.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, UTG calls $1.50, MP calls $1.50.

Turn: ($7.60) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks.

River: ($7.60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.4 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $6.40, MP folds.

Final Pot: $20.40

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Kd (two pair, kings and sevens).
UTG has Qd Kc (two pair, kings and sevens).
Outcome: UTG wins $20.40. </font>

I think when UTG raised 4xBB PF, I should have put him on havin either an A or K.So should have been wary of the turn and so should not have gone all-in on river.

Apart from that, how was my play? PF action? the bet on the flop? check on the river?

cheers
Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: 25NL lost to a higher kicker

I'd check fold the flop. Why'd you make a half pot sized donk bet into two players one of whom raised preflop?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 AM

Don't bet into 2 players here after this PF action. As played I would bet the turn. To me this looks like u might have hit the 8 on the flop (i.e. with A8) and u are now scared of the K.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 AM

Fold preflop, KJs is not a good hand, especially not against an UTG raiser.
Check fold flop. There are two players left to act, and I'm pretty sure that they will be calling you pretty light on this flop.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:38 AM

Please, stop posting results. It really hurts your responses.
Rebuy before the hand.
Preflop is marginal. It's easily dominated by AJ, AK, KQ. You want to either be the preflop raiser to take the pot down without a showdown or flop a big hand like a 2pair, a straight(draw) or a flush(draw).
I don't like your stab on the flop. Against 2 players on this limit, you can be pretty sure that someone will call a half pot bet with overcards or some PP or whatever. You are representing a 7 and since you called from the BB, that is somewhat believable. But people don't think like that on 25NL. You have no stack to back up your bluff with, so when the PFR has a decent hand, he needn't really fear a push by you, since you could have basically any 2. And most people would slowplay trips here against a PFR anyway, meaning either c/rai or c/c, push turn. So your flop bet is mostly useless.
I don't understand why you check the turn. When you push here, your representation of a 7 will be much more believable (although elaborate bluffs don't work on 25NL and 2 opponents) and you just might have made the best hand. Because your hand isn't a strong TP hand oop against a raiser, you are not looking to extract the most here by trapping and stuff after two opponents showed interest in the hand preflop and on the flop and you are first to act. If you think you can take the pot, take it right there. You have the most momentum going now. I don't know why you check here and then look like you are stabbing at weakness on the river.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 AM

Honestly you played this horribly. You must realize that you should only play those trap hands like KJ out of position if you know what to do with them post flop. This hand indicate to me that you don´t and i would recommend that you fold these hands to a preflop raise. Even more an UTG raise.

As played you must check the flop (or if you insist on betting, you should bet closer to the pot. You gain nothing by this bet)

usually you check the turn for pot size control, but if you plan on moving in anyway, you should really just do it on the turn as you´re really just giving them a free card should they have a draw (9-10, or an A)

other than that you should consider always playing with a full buy in, even though i'm not against playing short.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 AM

BI for full, fold PF, fold flop, bet turn, check river
Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 AM

Buy in.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 AM

LOL you bet like Bill Chen.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM

I don't really like the call preflop, most people don't raise weak hands UTG, however this is only 5 handed and so you are less likely to be trapped.... but you still want to flop a big hand, going broke with top pair medium kicker is still poor play IMO.

I like your flop bet to steal the pot.. IF it were a bigger bet, bet full pot, make it look like you have a medium pocket pair that wants to take the pot down!

Your bizare small bet is donkish, you are doing a pot-building bet when you have king high....