Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: my last post about this ever i promise.

If I could snap my fingers and make it happen, I'd go back to job with poker on side, versus poker full-time. While I've technically made more in 10 months of 2007 than my prior annual salary, I made much more when I had both a salary and poker on the side, and my life was much less stressful with a regular paycheck. Getting back into my field will be challenging with a year of poker on my resume, and I imagine it would be ten times worse for you.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 AM

dd,

what was your profession?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it pays $55k, but the main thing it has very good prospects, in that it is with one of the top accounting firms in uk (and globe), it will pay about $100k after 3 years, then $150k after about 5 years, then slowly rise with then. in 15 years if i did well i could be on $500k and rising.

thoughts much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are an idiot if you dont stick with this job?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 AM

Expecting to make 100k 3 years in and 150k 5 years in is pretty laughable generally. I mean sure their is the potential to make that but thinking of it as an assurance is pretty far from being true.

I think way to many people automatically assume they'll be making ridiculous money with real jobs by the time theyre 30 while in reality its pretty possible to still be making <100k
Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 AM

How good are you at poker? And I don't mean pretty good, kind of good, I mean what do your stats over a long period tell you? Talking about this decision is useless without specific information as to where your poker is at. Also, I want to comment on the topic of being a poker pro, which I am. The job on a scale of 1-10 can be a 1 or a 10 it really depends on you. Nobody makes you eat unhealthy food or sit around all day getting no excersise. It is a fact that some people do succumb to that lifesyle but you def can play poker, live a healthy life and have plenty of money and freedom to do what you want.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also part of me thinks, well, if i can play a 1-2 evenings a week, a day in the weekend, ill hopefully be winning a decent amount.

but then i really do not like having a job at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is huge, you might be able to do 1/2 of the poker hours you would without the job and still maintain the great opps and avoid poker burnout

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 AM

john, you're severly over estimating how much you can make from poker.

Also, you've probably been thinking about your serious business career since you were 10 years old. You really need to chill out at some stage or you'll have a mid life crisis.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:49 AM

thanks for all the replies, they certainly do help me try and figure this out.

the underlying problem is that i hate getting up in the morning, i hate accountancy and i hate knowing that i could be doing something i enjoy far more and would make me a lot more. however, i like the idea of being in a well paid, well respected job, with a ton of financial security. however, to get there, i have to go through a lot of boredom. i've been spoilt the last 5 years, ive had it so easy, and this is a massive wake up call. a big part of me wants not to wake up and carry on what im doing. and the other problem is that regardless of how well paid the job ends out being, i likely still will hate waking up, hate going to work, hate the long hours, hate hate hate. like a lot of us, i've had it so easy the last 4-5 years that this really sucks.

if im going to stick with the job i need to decide now. i have an exam in 8 days time which im already behind for (hopefully catch up all of today) and ideally id pass all my exams first time. if im going to stick with it, i've got to be committed to it and be willing to spend a lot of time studying, so in my mind now i need to decide it is what i should do, as otherwise i'll end out failing the exams.

also grindplz, the pay structure for a chartered accountant at big 4 is roughly 55k - 65k - 70k - from now on it depends whether you go into banking or industry, but roughly then 100k - 120k - 140k, though it really does depend how much your willing to sell your soul, 150k afer 5 years isnt that unrealistic (my bro is being asked to apply for job at that pay level 5 years after starting becuase they think he has the neccessary skills). they pay you well becuase youve had to spend 3 years of boredom studying towards an accountancy qualification.

as for online, i think 400k would be a realistic annual target. the obv concern is how long this would last for. but 500k i think is doable if i put in long hours. also i would try really hard to get into a weekly pattern, devoting time to eating well, exercise, going out etc (but i know this is so much harder than reality as i tried doing this for the last 4 years and it never worked).

thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate getting up in the morning, i hate accountancy and i hate knowing that i could be doing something i enjoy far more and would make me a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. dude, this decision seems pretty clear.

another thing to consider is the upcoming legislation/legalization. what will happen is anyone's guess, but it could be a decent idea to see what happens with that prior to dumping your job.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
upcoming legislation/legalization. what will happen is anyone's guess, but it could be a decent idea to see what happens with that prior to dumping your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but as a Uker i can't see anything bad really.

im going to try and stick out the job for a while.

after all, i hated cramming every time i had my uni exams becuase i had been to 10% of the lectures, twice i wanted to pack uni in becuase of the [censored] exams. i survived the exams, and so pleased i didnt quit (although 3 weeks cramming every few months vs 3 years of work is very different).

end of the day, to get your rewards, you have to work hard. just like poker, the amount of crap we have to go through in terms of going through the learning process and then the constant variance.

but then part of me feels ive gone through the 3-4 year process of playing online, feel ive now become a much better player than i used to be, and now im not acting on this, instead turning to a job, where im having to start from scatch again.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 AM

how many hands do you think you could play per month with the job?

how many would you play per month without it?

and to what extent do you think being tired from the job would affect your win rate?