Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Moving from Playdough to Real Dough

Theres nothing that I love more than sitting at a play money table and going all in every hand haha. Pisses people off so much and great stress release.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 AM

I'm a newbie here too, so I don't know if my opinion has any real value, but I can say that when I moved from play money to real money I started on tournies because:

(a) after the initial all-in fest the games seemed much more 'sensible' than the moron micros - so I thought it would be better for my game

(b) if I didn't make any crazy plays a $10 buy-in to a MTT could last a couple of hours, while I could be down two buy-ins on a micro table in less than 30 minutes

But I still hadn't read Harrington on Holdem book 2, I had never heard of 'M' and I didn't know that I should loosen up as my stack dwindled away - so I always lost. Big mistake!

So, for what it's worth, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have left the MTT's till later.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi.
When I read this post I can see that some of youīre playing small buy-in SNGīs. If itīs possible for you to play at Pacific (donīt know if they are US friendly) Iīd recommend that you give it a try. When I had a big downswing in my NL cash play I spent some time trying to learn SNG tactics by playing $2.50/30c 6 handed SNG, and believe me, itīs very soft. Besides that Pacific pays the first 3 places evan in the 6 handed SNGīs. Basically itīs just your money back for 3rd place, but itīs money saved. This is the only site Iīve found that pays 3 places in a shorthanded SNG.

Just my 2 cents....

// M
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

my suggestion is when you pick the type of game you want to play (cash, sng, mtt) read the forums here. the FAQ for each of these will help out, including bankroll suggestions as well as some strategy.

goodluck!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Poker Clif,

I think I will definately take your advice and avoid the MTTs. I don't have the time to devote to a game if it were to last 5 hrs.

I definately will start out just playing no more than 2 tables. I can see in your case having roomates can cause distractions which will lead to mistakes. I find even without any distractions that if more than two games are on I can't play as well as if I can concentrate on one or two.

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

I never played at Poker Stars before. I will try it out in play money and see how that goes... Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM

One of the sites I play at is Absolute. They have .50 + .10 SNG that pay top 3. They're a cheap way to learn & earn.

Also I signed up on Absolute thru a site that gave me $50 for free to start me out. The site is www.pokersourceonline.com. I think I originally found them somewhere here on 2+2. If you try them tell them bill_nj sent you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bill
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Don't forget, by practicing with playmoney, you are actually making money...

1 Million pokerstars playmoney can be sold for about 10$ in real money.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Oh I didn't know that thanks!! Will try that now!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

How do you sell your play money on poker stars. I have over $2 mill play money, would love to sell it for $20 real