Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 AM

Default This was new. Flop card goes off the table...

Dealer is bringing the flop. About to spread it when, squirt!. One of the cards goes off the table. Fast enough that many can't see it.

So, you have 2 flop cards up and a card down on the floor. (in this room, cards that go off the table are considered dead)

How do you proceed?

b
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: This was new. Flop card goes off the table...

That is pretty unique. I'd say the off-table card gets exposed (as the burn card for the turn?) and a new card is gently placed next to the other two flop cards.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM

Guess I'd burn and put what woulda been the turn up to finish the flop, burn&turn what woulda been the river for the actual turn, then shuffle the card that went off the table in and cut/turn a river.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 AM

I get the sense that despite the rule, the off-table card would probably still play. It was exposed anyway, even if not everyone was able to see it. There's no harm to the action.

Similar scenario: If the flop was already tabled for all to see, and somehow a flop card then flew off the table (for whatever reason), would it be a dead card then?

Contrast this to someone's hole card leaving the table or a mucked or burn card flying off. In these cases it could potentially influence the hand.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer is bringing the flop. About to spread it when, squirt!. One of the cards goes off the table. Fast enough that many can't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many COULD see it?

If the answer is "more than one", and they agree on what it was, then it plays, IMO. No need for fancy procedural mumbo-jumbo.

If the answer is "one or none", then I like the idea of moving the turn card to the flop, the river card to the turn, and re-shuffling in the exposed card before dealing the river (if necessary).

(If Robert's Rules covers says something to the effect of "A fouled flop gets reshuffled immediately," then ignore my post.)
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the sense that despite the rule, the off-table card would probably still play. It was exposed anyway, even if not everyone was able to see it. There's no harm to the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this room, if a card goes off the table, not counting if it were tabled(which includes if a card on the flop finds its way to the floor after being on the felt and part of the board) and out of site of the dealer, it's a dead card. Especially if it hits the ground.

btw...the card zipped pretty quick. No one saw it.

b