Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: The Well: iMsoLucky0 (2.6.07)

[ QUOTE ]
A while ago I posted HHs from I think 3 tournaments that I won. Durron hosted them and it was a decent thread but it didn't get a whole lot of feedback. If someone will search for theses posts, I'm pretty sure the files are still hosted. Those would probably be the only HHs of my online wins that are still around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing it was a post in MTT? Do you know about when?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off Jordan, i really appreciate what you are doing, answering questions for ANYONE who has a question for you...and i want you to know that nowhere else on the web is there an opportunity to have a Q and A forum with a top rated player such as yourself...

[/ QUOTE ]

I really appreciate that and am actually surprised that an 'extreme poker noob' as you call yourself would have actually heard of me.

[ QUOTE ]
My question: if you could give 3 pieces of advice to extreme poker noobies (such as myself), only three main points to help them succees in poker...what would you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing a beginner has to understand is that to truly be successful, you are going to have to put in an INSANE amount of hard work. I have non-poker people all the time come to me and ask me to teach them how to do it, and they are expecting some quick answer or trick to becoming a winning/good poker player. But the truth of the matter is there basically isn't anyone that can just pick up the game and master it. You have to put in hours and hours of hard work and it takes time... so be patient.

The second thing that is important is to learn to handle your emotions. It isn't an easy climb or a straight up shot. There are going to be bumps and roadblocks the entire way, and if you don't have the right temperament, you're probably going to get mad and quit, or at least hate the time you spend on the game.

The last thing, and it's kind of a cliche, but is to find people that are better than you and surround yourself with them. Conversations and discussions with other players better than you and even at your level are some of the best way to advance your game at any level.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A while ago I posted HHs from I think 3 tournaments that I won. Durron hosted them and it was a decent thread but it didn't get a whole lot of feedback. If someone will search for theses posts, I'm pretty sure the files are still hosted. Those would probably be the only HHs of my online wins that are still around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing it was a post in MTT? Do you know about when?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for it now... having a hard time finding it. It may be in the archives. It wass definitely more than a year ago, and probably closer to 2.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was late summer 05
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 PM

ok as a follow up question.. (i hope these are allowed) if my strength and "area of focus" as of right now are MTT's...where would you suggest i start? i have been reading all over the forums today to try and learn everything possible, and i read somewhere that Gobboboy said that the extreme micro MTT's on Stars really helped him out a lot, and that he learned tournement play by experience...hes pretty unique when it comes to teaching himself tournement style, so i was wondering if there was a book that you would recommend for tournement play?

as of right now i have taught myself pretty much the basics...being tight yet aggressive early on...in the middle loosening up a little bit..playing the suited connectors and such...and then when it gets deeper you have to steal blinds to stay alive...and then at the FT just play your game...

although i havent been in THAT many situations where i have been deep in tournements, the ones that i have been in that is what i have learned...can you add to list of things that one must do to survive/cash in a MTT?

i apologize i didnt realize i had so many questions in one, but i hope you will take the time to answer these [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i really do appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Upon further inspection, it seems those tournament wins were on the day of 7-24-05. The post would've been sometime between then and 2-3 weeks after then, but I still can't find it. Hmmm..... if durron ever gets on AIM, he probably still has the link. I looked at all of his and my posts in MTT at that time and can't find it. Not sure what's goin on really.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok as a follow up question.. (i hope these are allowed) if my strength and "area of focus" as of right now are MTT's...where would you suggest i start? i have been reading all over the forums today to try and learn everything possible, and i read somewhere that Gobboboy said that the extreme micro MTT's on Stars really helped him out a lot, and that he learned tournement play by experience...hes pretty unique when it comes to teaching himself tournement style, so i was wondering if there was a book that you would recommend for tournement play?

as of right now i have taught myself pretty much the basics...being tight yet aggressive early on...in the middle loosening up a little bit..playing the suited connectors and such...and then when it gets deeper you have to steal blinds to stay alive...and then at the FT just play your game...

although i havent been in THAT many situations where i have been deep in tournements, the ones that i have been in that is what i have learned...can you add to list of things that one must do to survive/cash in a MTT?

i apologize i didnt realize i had so many questions in one, but i hope you will take the time to answer these [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i really do appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologize. For your questions, I'd recommend you start at whatever you are comfortable with I guess. It's great you've been reading everything you can today, but try reading everything you can for a month on here. Learn whose posts you like and trust and filter out the bad from the good. As for books, the only tournament book I've ever read was TPFAP and it was okay but nothing groundbreaking when I read it (very early in my career). I'm not a huge book guy, but I've heard good things about the HOH series.

As for a list of things to win/survive in MTTs, that's kind of a broad question that's hard to answer. Most of the things you have to learn to close out MTTs can't really be verbalized or taught really. It can come from your own experience (like gobboboy), or it can come from watching someone and their hole cards while they win a tournament. It really seems like it takes something different for everyone before it seems to 'click' for them.

I can tell you though that if you stay around here and become active on these boards and play a bunch to get experience, you're already heading in the right direction.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 PM

Found the post, haven't checked to see if the HHs are still up though.

iMsoLucky0's HHs

Edit: seem to still be hosted.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM

Durron just came online and saved the day.

I still can't find the posts made about it, but here are the HHs:

Hand Histories

edit: the badger beat me!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM

thx for doing this as everyone else has said, i really enjoy when people give back like this.

i don't really have too much to add/ask, but i was wondering what advantages you see to limping at later stages in tournaments before the table becomes really shorthanded. i understand the whole limp to avoid being re-stolen on thing, and i understand limping early on when stacks are deep, but i don't really understand limping in early position late in a tournament with speculative hands and calling raises. specifically i guess what spawned this thought is that i'm wondering about the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hand you posted about earlier in this thread, but given your success i assume this wasn't a random happening and you have a method to this thing i might call madness [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. also, do you think it's important to limp big pairs as well as speculative hands in these later stages with shortened stacks relative to blinds just so people can't just auto-peg your limp as a speculative hand?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thx for doing this as everyone else has said, i really enjoy when people give back like this.

i don't really have too much to add/ask, but i was wondering what advantages you see to limping at later stages in tournaments before the table becomes really shorthanded. i understand the whole limp to avoid being re-stolen on thing, and i understand limping early on when stacks are deep, but i don't really understand limping in early position late in a tournament with speculative hands and calling raises. specifically i guess what spawned this thought is that i'm wondering about the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hand you posted about earlier in this thread, but given your success i assume this wasn't a random happening and you have a method to this thing i might call madness [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. also, do you think it's important to limp big pairs as well as speculative hands in these later stages with shortened stacks relative to blinds just so people can't just auto-peg your limp as a speculative hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the 45dd hand, I had over 100 BBs and even though it was day 3, the structure of that tournament was such that we were extremely deep the whole way through. And yes, my style is such that I play many hands and try to mix up my play to confuse my opponents. I do think it is important to limp in with big hands some, and raise with drawing hands some too (specifically with the style I play). In order to be able to play many different hands, it really helps to be able to confuse your opponent and keep them guessing as to which hand you have, and then outthink them.

I used to limp more than I do now, but I will still limp with speculative hands when my table is such that they will let me play flops. Again, on the 45dd hand, I limped after a shortstack limper because I didn't think he was folding preflop and I saw no reason to isolate a shortstack with such a speculative holding.