Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 01:41 AM

Default World of Downloadcraft

So I figure I'll try this game out. A buddy of mine said it takes about 3 weeks to get to level 70 if you know people who can help you out. I figured that it might be fun to have a maxed out character to use periodically to go around collecting items.

Anyhow, I just wanted to get the advice of the locals in here as far as what I should expect, and also if I should expect to have to download 400 megs of updates every couple days.

My buddy suggested that I play on spirestorm (or something like that - I know it's spire something) so he can help me out. I guess that's a PVP server, and also that I'll have to be a "bad guy."

I'm waiting on a 400 meg update so I can jump in and get playing tonight, so I guess I won't be online for a while. I'll try to make a name something like "duke" to play under, so feel free to come and kill me if you think I'm a jackass.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: World of Downloadcraft

lol say goodbye to your friends, family, and whatever else you do in your life if you are going to grind to 70 in 3 weeks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you'll have friends to help twink you and pl you, but still gonna take a lot of time.

What class/race you making? I enjoyed the game and had a maxed out hunter, but I was in a non raiding guild, and it got old after awhile. I also enjoy having time to do other things...I get addicted to mmorpgs, and play way too much.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 AM

Your experience will depend pretty much entirely on how cool/fun the people you play with are (probably your guild). I would reccomend not trying to have the best loot because you risk getting stuck in the endless loot grind cycle. I was stuck in it for over 2 years and had 130 days played time. Don't get too commited to any gear or raiding or reputation grinds. Just play to have fun and shoot the [censored] with people on ventrilo.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 AM

see you in 2009
Old 08-19-2007, 05:23 AM

OK, so I'm an undead mage on spirestone.

Initial thoughts:

I posted the OP when I was waiting for the 390 MB update to the software, thinking that that's all there was. There were also 4 or 5 more updates on top of that that I needed, before I could even make myself a character.

It took me a little while to figure things out, and I'm still a little lost as to how I can figure out how much XP I have or need to level. I just level randomly, and am level 4 right now. I did some random quests, collecting things. I was annoyed because I got to level 3 before finding out how to talk to people by killing a bunch of various zombies and wolf things and skeleton things. My next quests were to kill specific numbers of precisely those things. That reminded me of that warhammer online video where the guy is making fun of a player covered in bear blood without a bear paw - probably because I had to get a bunch of paws myself from the wolf things.

The game is very very smooth on this crappy machine (Macbook, not a pro). I am impressed.

I was reminded of South Park when I saw some random player jumping through the level. I was level 3 and some level 5 guy challenged me. I obviously declined, since I don't think it's that smart to fight that high above my current level.

I can see why this game is so popular, and I haven't even seen the "cool" stuff yet. Blizzard impressed me a great deal with this.

It's actually impossible for me to disappear into this game, since my work is quite time consuming and tiring when I'm working. I do, however, happen to have weeks off at a time.

Anyhow, it's good. Some of the controls feel like Diablo, which I played for 5 minutes ever, and some remind me of Ultima 7 (the "feel" of picking items up).

I'll figure out how to find my total time played, but I think I've been playing for about an hour now. Time to go to bed, while I still can.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:55 AM

I've recently quit WoW for the second time - levelled a blood elf priest to 63 before I got bored of the game, again. It's not one of those games that you can just play for say, 2 hours, if you go on raids/instances you're pretty much committed until they're over as it's bad practice to leave your group.

Took me about 10 days played time to get to 63, then again priests are awesome for soloing so I levelled up quite quickly.

When you first install WoW there's a WORLD of updates you have to download, as you're downloading all updates released since 2004. Blizz has a server maintenance day once a week when new updates may be released, but these will only be small files [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Type /played for your time played [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 AM

There is a bar at the bottom, right above your skill slots that is your 'XP bar'. If you mouse over it it will show #/# where its XP Gained / XP needed to level.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 AM

Btw if you ever get stuck with quests, check out thottbot and allakhazam for where they are and how to do them etc.

You might also want to consider installing UI mods for WoW as you progress. Not many players use the default interface as there are mods to make the layout a lot easier on the eye, skills and items easier to activate/access etc.

It's just personal preference but I dislike the default XP bar; it's far too big and almost goes right across the screen and the mod I used made it sit just underneath my health/mana bars, which was perfect for me.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and also that I'll have to be a "bad guy."

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM

The updates are like every 2 weeks. The initial one you downloaded was like 15 updates crammed together.