Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Bluff-Catching with Medium-Strength Hand on Multiple Streets

In limit, there are times when an aggressive player is betting into you when you have a medium-strength hand, maybe something like top pair with a bad kicker, and it feels like the best play is to just call down. If OOP, I might check-and-call down.

I feel that I adopt the same strategy too much in no-limit. More specifically, I think that I am calling on the turn too often with a medium-strength hand when I am likely to face a river bet and when the correct strategy might be to raise and fold to a reraise.

I generally have a tight (and sometimes also occasionally tricky) image, so it feels like an observant opponent betting into me, especially if I have show strength, puts me in a way ahead/way behind scenario and I have a pathological distaste for the idea of raising "for information".

Any thoughts on calling down a super-aggro but not maniacal player in no-limit vs limit?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Bluff-Catching with Medium-Strength Hand on Multiple Streets

there should be no reason to call down a majority of the time in the middle limits. Players just aren't that aggressive on average. In the bigger games you do this but your reads and play are much stronger...for beginners I would say just pitch.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there should be no reason to call down a majority of the time in the middle limits. Players just aren't that aggressive on average. In the bigger games you do this but your reads and play are much stronger...for beginners I would say just pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I think this just answered the question in the thread I just started, heh.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Now, what if I have a hand better than TP with a bad kicker. Maybe I have top pair with the best or second best kicker. How often am I calling down or raising and folding to a reraise?

What if I raise preflop with AK and my opponent donks into me? Especially when playing live, I feel like there are opponents who perceive me as tighter than I actually am (I have an inescapable imposing table presence, so I just try to make the most of my tight image rather than hide it....I can turn a maniac from someone who raises everyone to someone who raises everyone but me when I play limit) and will bet into an ace-high flop, trying to bluff me off of kings or queens, but they also won't slowplay a set or two pair, hoping I have AK or AQ.