Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Want to Defend the Attorney General?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that George W. Bush and Alberto Gonzales are two different people?

Calling for the impeachment of one is not equivalent of accusing the other of unlawful activities.

You have still failed to produce a single example to support your claim that Congress has made accusations of criminal activity on the part of the AG.

Let's recap:
You: "It's time for Joe to prove his accusations against Bob."
Me: "What accusations?"
You: "You're ridiculous. Joe said he doesn't like Phil."
Me: "But how is that an accusation against Bob?"
You: "Bob works for Phil. Just google it."

This is all so far beside the point, it's absurd. Maybe I'm being leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonzo has played and continues to play a key role in formulationg and carrying out Bush administration policy regarding the conduct of the war on terror. Gonzo's role includes and has included among other things advising the president on legal matters related to that conduct. If the Bush admisistration is committing impeachable offenses it's not a stretch at all to believe that Gonzo has done so as well. Therefore if members of Congress are accusing the Bush administration of impeachable offenses, they're certainly including Gonzo as well since he's a key member of the administration. That's especially true regarding Bush's alleged impeachable conduct regarding the War on Terror. I'm sure I can dredge up accusations specifically accusing Gonzo of illegal activities but it should be clear that accusing the administration of impeachable offenses is at least a tacit accusation of Gonzo. Not sure why you have a problem with this. It's not absurd at all when you understand the role Gonzo has played in the administration. BTW there are calls for Gonzo's impeachment.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure I made a post earlier that cleared things up. For the record, I wasnt arguing one way or another, I was just trying add some more info on the subject. But they are planning on trying to impeach gonzo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw that, and I agree it's important new information.

But even a resolution exploring the possibility of impeachment is not really an accusation. The impeachment itself, if and when it comes, THAT will be the accusation of serious wrongdoing. Then will come the "proving" phase, at the Senate trial, etc...

LOL that this all might sound like I'm defending the AG, because I'm really, really not. It's just that Democrats have been very careful to avoid making direct accusations against him.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
accusing the administration of impeachable offenses is at least a tacit accusation of Gonzo.

[/ QUOTE ]
We are in agreement, sir.

In spite of the fact that we cannot impeach an administration, but only individuals within it.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 PM

The odd thing about thing about this is that Gonzalez is supposed to be an attorney and technically able to defend himself. And some may wonder why he isn't in public practice....