Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Is There Anything Wrong with This Table Behavior?

So, I am playing limit hold em and my favorite kind of fish sits down, the no limit player who tries to run over the table even after he has been caught bluffing multiple times. He's also had a few drinks in him.

He's been swearing a lot. The dealers are gently reminding him to behave at the table, but they are also not calling over the floor because the floor will enforce rules and the players, mostly a bunch of regulars, don't want this ATM to be forced to leave. The dealers recognize this and in fact are being very lenient with this player as a favor to the regulars.

Anyways, this overaggressive player can't seem to understand how much he is allowed to bet or raise. The dealers and players are obviously exasperated at having to explain to him over and over what his options are. Finally, one of the regulars next to the fish takes it upon himself to inform the player that he can call X dollars or raise to Y, basically giving him his options on every hand. It makes the game flow faster and no one complains.

I was perfectly happy with the situation, but I was wondering if anyone thought there was anything sketchy about how it all went down. Were dealers giving special consideration to regular players that they really shouldn't? Is there a technical violation of the "one player to a hand" rule? Should I tip the dealers a bit extra in thanks?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Is There Anything Wrong with This Table Behavior?

extra tip IMHO
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM

I really don't see anything too wrong with this. If he was being a complete horrible azs then other tables would have noticed, the dealer wouldn't have put up with it then I would assume?
He is there playing wether he should be or not at that point, but it's his choice. Showing him how to correctly call/bet/raise isn't a big deal either IMO.

Dealers look out for regulars, that is natural. That is who they see the most and get the most tips from...

The guy wasn't cheated, he was just playing a game he shouldn't have been. That has been done many, many times.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Informing a player of his betting options is not a violation of the rules. It's standard practice when dealing with a new player, or any player unfamiliar with the specific structure being dealt. Generally, however, I'd prefer to do it from the box, rather than having another player take it on himself to do it -- the reason being: new players often feel overwhelmed if they're getting instructions from five different people at once, and they can easily misinterpret this as hostility/impatience, which can turn them off to the game.

As to how harshly you enforce rules on language, etc -- there's always a bit of discretion here, especially if nobody at the table is taking offense and the player isn't consciously trying to cause problems. Usually, you can just "diplomatically" draw the player's attention to the rules, and that will be enough to get them to make an effort to keep it clean. If they're making the effort, I'll give them respect for it, even if they accidentally slip up once in a while. But if the person is consciously disregarding the rules or deliberately being a jerk to the other players, well, then we go to plan B. Floor! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q
Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 AM

Anyone can explain the rules to a player. If someone asks during play "does a straight beat a flush" it's a-ok for the dealer or any player to answer. That's a rules question. What nobody is supposed to answer is something like "is three of a kind a good hand?"

So yeah, it's absolutely fine (and necessary) to tell folks what the betting limits are. If nobody could explain "you can check or bet 4" or "you can call 4, raise to 8, or fold" newbies couldn't play.