Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Default 1/2 Live AK Play, Inducing a Bluff

New player sits down while waiting for a bigger game. He has a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern complexion, well-dressed with slicked back hair. I was shocked that he didn't have a gold chain because he looked like he was a Sammy Farha wannabe who came to gamble. Based on his talk with his crew, he seemed knowledgeable about poker, but he also seemed like he thought he could run over a bunch of low rollers.

So, his first hand in middle position, he raises to 12. Sincehe just bought in, effective stacks are 200. I am to his immediate left and pick up AK. My plan is to knock everyone out behind me and get him heads up by making a minimum raise to 24. If I flop top pair, I will try to represent a scared underpair and get him to try to shove. If I miss, I will try to represent a big pair and semibluff with my overcard pair draw.

Flop comes A92. I bet 15 as if I were probing with KK. He calls.

Turn is a low blank. I bet 20. He check-raises all-in. My heart skips a beat. This is my first time playing no limit live. I've always been a limit guy. I pause, momentarily examining the thumping in my chest, trying to figure out if I have the heart to carry out my plan and if he caught some miracle two pair. Finally, I call.

Was my preflop plan with AK a good idea? Is it a bad sign for my no limit game if I paused to reconsider?