Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Help with a Hand in $3/5 NL game

I posted this in another forum and a regular told me to try posting it here for input.

I think it was an interesting hand, and I think I played it pretty poorly. I would love to hear what some of you would have done in my possition... I'll start with a little backstory for the situation.

I had been playing for maybe 2-3 hrs and had taken a couple tough hits in big hands, but had also given a couple bad hits in big hands. Player A had just moved from my right to an open seat on my left for the declared purpose of getting better possition on me. Player A had about $600 and was playing a rather solid game but seemed to not like playing pots with me.

I just played a big hand from the SB where I flopped a wheel SF draw with As3s I checked, Player B bet, I raised, he pushed, I thought I had odds to call for the size of the pot and called. I hit my nut flush on the river and took down a $1k pot. Player B rebought for $300.

Two hands later I am in the cutoff with Player B limped-in UTG ahead of me, I held KhQh and I noticed that Player A (on the button) was holding chips for a raise. I decided to raise to $20 and see if he had a strong hand or if he wanted to play his possition. Player A calls the $20, and Player B calls the $20.

3 players to the flop, ~$65 total pot.
The flop came out 9hThAs.
Player B checks
Hero: ???? What action should I take here?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Help with a Hand in $3/5 NL game

[ QUOTE ]
Player A had just moved from my right to an open seat on my left for the declared purpose of getting better possition on me.

[/ QUOTE ]
History could be important here.

[ QUOTE ]
I just played a big hand from the SB where I flopped a wheel SF draw with As3s I checked, Player B bet, I raised, he pushed, I thought I had odds to call for the size of the pot and called. I hit my nut flush on the river and took down a $1k pot. Player B rebought for $300.

[/ QUOTE ]
B3B

As for your hand, stacks seem perfect for a bet 3bet all in, and other plays leave you with crappy stack sizes.

I'd vary my bet based on who I thought was most likely to raise me. $40 if I thought it was UTG, and $60 if I thought it was BN. I'd bet $50 if I wasn't sure.

If these guys are nitty, maybe bet smaller so you can try to chase if raised.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Again, a post from another board:

I almost always make a continuation bet, and vary the size of it based on pot size, possition, and any reads on players in the hand, and how I want to manipulate the pot. I would say 80-90+ % of the time I c-bet.

I did bet $45, and really expected to take down the pot right there or get a call from at most one of the two players. What happened really surprised me as Player A raised to $145 and Player B insta-called (over half his remaining stack.)

This is the first time that Player A had shown this aggression toward me all night, but I had done it to him quite a few times. I was also surprised that Player B just called. He had pushed all in more times than the rest of the table combined so far in the evening.

I was a tad startled and was just starting to think about what to do with that chain of action when I...?????

What action should I take here?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go find a grease fire and jump in.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM

I just throw it away. AJhh could be floating around there. You don't have that much committed to this pot, no reason to get all your money in when you could be drawing near dead.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Well, it doesn't look like you have any fold equity, and your draw is too big to lay down, so call.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go find a grease fire and jump in.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL GOOD ONE

See you in a day or two.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 AM

Ah.....welcome back Jim [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 04:37 PM

When the Player B check called a bet/raise I was pretty surprised. I happened to have $100, the amount for a call, in my hand and I was just starting to consider what the action meant and what I wanted to do when I saw the dealer burn a card and start to bring out the turn.

I quickly said "wait, I haven't called yet" as I reached out to stop him with the hand I had 4 $25 chips in. House rules are crossing the line with chips, the chips stay in the pot. Not to mention I used the word "call."

Huge mistake right there.... The dealers mistake of not seeing my cards made me make an even bigger mistake of rushing my own action.

If I had it to do over, I call over the floor and get a ruling about whether or not that "call" stood as my action.

Either way, it is what it is, and the turn was the Qc...

Checked to me... and I ????
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Check of course. Why would you bet?