Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Tahoe fire hitting home

I lived in Tahoe for 6 years and just recently moved back to NYC. As we all know those fires are right in town in South lake. The fire started about 2miles from my old house and since has destroyed many houses of which are friends of mine. A serious tragedy is taking place right now. Winds are supposed to continue to increase to up to 30mph through the eve ning and get WORSE come tomorrow. As of right now, their seems to be no immediate end in sight.

This post has 2 purposes.

1) If anyone has any additional or new information about the fires, could they please post it here. Tracking updates online has been one of my sources as well as talking to many of my friends back west but as fires go, changes happen in an instant.

2) If anyone has any ideas on how I/we can help contribute to this, I am all ears. I think I will be flying out west to lend any helping hand I can but additional help, support, money is obviously going to be needed.

South Lake Tahoe is a ridiculously beautiful small town. The community is very close nit with a small population of no more then 45,000 full season residents. The fire is so spotty right now that it is very hard to contain. At one point they say they had up to 44% contained but then just like that it hopped highway 89 and started to burn another neighborhood. This fire is in the center of this town. It is not in the mountains. It is slowly destroying what once was a paradise and a beautiful getaway resort. Again, if anyone has new info, please post it here so we can all try to stay informed. Also, let me make myself clear that I am not soliciting any money. I just think that if we brainstorm together we may be able to come up with some relief for what is surely needed. 1900 firefighters are there right now and I imagine more too come.

Thankyou for your help and thoughts in advance.

Josh
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Tahoe fire hitting home

This is a tragedy like building your home on a sandy beach that gets pounded by hurricanes every 5 years is a tragedy. I honestly don't have much sympathy for those folks. With a little planning you can greatly reduce the chances of your house in the woods getting destroyed by fire.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:16 PM

Boris,

This is absolutely not the same. Fires IN TOWN are not common. Fires in the mountains and throughout the valleys in the west are.

One point that you are semi right on but is not the fault of the citizens is that because of very strict enviornmental laws out there they do not do as much controlled burns as they need to. This is a problem that needs to be brought to the attention of those in charge (TRPA).

As for having no sympathy, that is quite heartless and frankly just rude. I just made a post that many of my friends who have been living there, their entire life, now have NOTHING left and you say [censored] em in so many words. You, Boris are a tool bag for thinking that way and even more so for posting it.

Please next time do a little research before slandering a good community d-bag.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Oh snap!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM

test
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tragedy like building your home on a sandy beach that gets pounded by hurricanes every 5 years is a tragedy. I honestly don't have much sympathy for those folks. With a little planning you can greatly reduce the chances of your house in the woods getting destroyed by fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao at how clueless you are. I'm glad that you have no knowledge or association with Lake Tahoe.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Boris. And if a bunch of New York City residents die in a terrorist attack, well no sympathy here. They should have known that NYC is one of the largest terrorist targets in the country. Get a grip.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Sorry Josh but if you build your home in the wild/urban interface zone you have to expect something like this is going to happen. It happens every freaking year after all. This year it was South Lake Tahoe's turn.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah Boris. And if a bunch of New York City residents die in a terrorist attack, well no sympathy here. They should have known that NYC is one of the largest terrorist targets in the country. Get a grip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same situation at all.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not the same situation at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you draw the line Boris?

Wild fires happen in the west. We never should have cross the Mississippi.
Earthquakes happen on fault lines. SF shouldn't be a city.
Tornadoes happen in the alley, there goes Kansas, OK, part of Tx and other states.
Blizzards kill in in the North every year. There goes Mpls, Buffalo, etc
Florida shouldn't be a state. Hurricanes from the East, from the west.
The super volcano under Yellowstone will take 4 or more states with it, maybe much more with nuclear winter conditions.