Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Default CAPPING QQ PREFLOP

Is it always correct to cap preflop with QQ. I'm not sure about this. Most of the books say yes but there are times when i know i am up against AA or KK due to the tightness of an opponent who has a limited re-raising range preflop.

Surely it can't be correct to cap then? or is it?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: CAPPING QQ PREFLOP

I think that it is always correct to cap it if you can.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM

I would say that 99/100 times you should re-raise. How can you be so sure that they hold AA or KK? What about AKs, QQ(less likely) or JJ? Wouldn't they play those hands the exact same way?

Also, just calling a 3 bet puts you on defense for the rest of the streets, and that is no way to play a hand like QQ. If his actions on a safe flop continue to indicate AA or KK (note: this means you STILL raise / raise his C/R on the flop), then C/C the turn and river bets in the absence of any really horrible card.

In my opinion, you will be up against these hands far less often than you think, and very few players only raise these hands up front (and basically no profitable ones).

Just my two cents.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it always correct to cap preflop with QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's never correct to always do something.

Like you said, if you're getting into a pot and getting re-raised by a super-tight player who has position, capping is not good.

There's one guy in my cardroom who if he 3-bet my QQ in position, I'd think about folding PF. He's the guy with the dust bunnies on his red chips.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM

I think the more important question is whether your pre-flop play is consistent with your post-flop play.

In other words, those times that you don't cap it pre-flop because you have a read that the other person has AA or KK how often do you see a showdown? I assume some portion of the time.

To reformulate the question once more, I think the best question is what is the correct analysis for determining: (a) when you should cap pre-flop with QQ; (b) when you should go to showdown with QQ; and (c) what is the analsysis for determining how the answer from question 'a' in a given circumstance effects the answer to question 'b'.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it always correct to cap preflop with QQ. I'm not sure about this. Most of the books say yes but there are times when i know i am up against AA or KK due to the tightness of an opponent who has a limited re-raising range preflop.

Surely it can't be correct to cap then? or is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you "know" your up against AA and KK and during the tiny precent of time that you're wrong they have AK then you should fold. Thats provided you have yet to put money in the pot.

You're either in an even money situation or more likely way behind.

A couple of days ago I was playing in a spread limit game. Rock A bets the max spread, Rock B raises the max spread. I fold my Jacks. The river would have made me quads. The winner of the hand had wired Aces. Still it was a good fold was good fold because I "knew" preflop I was up against AA,KK,QQ, or AK(with AA or KK being the likely holding for rock 2).

edit:that being said your default play should be to cap with QQ - folding it should be exceedingly rare.

Stu
Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say that 99/100 times you should re-raise. How can you be so sure that they hold AA or KK? What about AKs, QQ(less likely) or JJ? Wouldn't they play those hands the exact same way?

Also, just calling a 3 bet puts you on defense for the rest of the streets, and that is no way to play a hand like QQ. If his actions on a safe flop continue to indicate AA or KK (note: this means you STILL raise / raise his C/R on the flop), then C/C the turn and river bets in the absence of any really horrible card.

In my opinion, you will be up against these hands far less often than you think, and very few players only raise these hands up front (and basically no profitable ones).

Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said
Old 02-08-2007, 05:08 AM

If we KNOW Villian has AA/KK, surely it's correct to call preflop because of huge implied odds if we hit a set. No?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 AM

That's right. I think i never folded my Queens preflop in a limit hold'em game
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we KNOW Villian has AA/KK, surely it's correct to call preflop because of huge implied odds if we hit a set. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Implied odds are crushed pre-flop. I'm guesstimating here, if you can guarantee the end pot will be 18-20 big bets I change from a fold to call or raise. In a spread limit game it would have to be double that(because the max is the same on every street).

Perhaps a math egghead can weigh in.

Stu