Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Did I play this hand badly?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12SB, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (12BB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (18BB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 21BB
Old 10-25-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Did I play this hand badly?

Reads would be nice.
What do you beat on the turn?
What do you beat on the river?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM

No reads,this was a new table i'd only just opened.
The last 2 calls were down to the massive pot odds,should I have ignored this as there was two other players fighting for the pot?
At what point was it correct for me to fold?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM

Oops, missed that you had the Jd, turn is fine, fold the river.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM

"No reads,this was a new table i'd only just opened."

In that case, openraise AJ in EP, even overtop of the UTG and UTG+1 limpers. This is not $25/50, it's $0.25/$0.50.

"missed that you had the Jd, turn is fine, fold the river."
With all due respect and all that, no. He's calling one unit to win twenty units on the river. Didn't our hero Ed Miller have something to say about this? "You fold too damn much"?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

I'd be pretty concerned that my Jd wasn't good enough if the 4th one came in on the river.

I would have raised preflop. You want this hand in position and short-handed.

What are you putting CO on kero? JJ/TT? big diamonds? Unless he is special and is raising KQo with no diamonds, I think we are in trouble.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Preflop: There are few online games where I wouldn't raise.

Flop: Way standard.

Turn: This is where things get weird. First CO raises preflop, then he completely shuts down on the flop, then he wakes up on the turn. This usually means one of two things:

-He flopped a huge hand
-He was slowplaying on the flop

UTG's flop bet/3bet is sometimes a worse J, but often a better hand than yours that got scared by CO's turn raise after the flush came in. CO's hand is almost always better than yours, though you are drawing live against him unless he has overs that turned a flush. I want to fold to the turn raise so bad but it's 17:1 closing the action...

River: I'd fold but I don't think calling one bet with TPTK in pots this big is a leak. In fact folding would be a leak if you start doing it in situations where you aren't so obviously beat.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Crap, I wasn't thinking pre-flop either, stupid world series... Raise this pre-flop.

Snitch, I figure CO for the frush which is why I was folding before I saw the Jd. CO probably has two big diamonds or a set. Yea, that pushes the turn back towards a fold when CO raises, although I hate calling and folding on the same street.

Rob, when two people wake up on this board tp isn't very good. When that quote was made it was true, it isn't so much anymore. Without reads you aren't beating 2 guys here.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should openraise AJ in microlimit games, almost without reservation.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[ QUOTE ]
"missed that you had the Jd, turn is fine, fold the river."
With all due respect and all that, no. He's calling one unit to win twenty units on the river. Didn't our hero Ed Miller have something to say about this? "You fold too damn much"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he did. This isn't what he was talking about. CO's line is weird (he's got, at minimum, an overpair with one diamond). There are straights and flushes on the board, and you're over-calling the river. Given that it's 20 bets, it's not a terrible call if you make it, but you're not good here one time in fifty, much less 20.

Even Ed has said that his post has been taken badly out of context and over-applied in inappropriate situations.

If Hero had been paying attention to CO's play, he could probably have folded the turn.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.Just a couple of points to make.

1.)The final call on the turn and the call on the river were made purely from a pot odds point of view,I feel if I start folding with those odds in games as small as 0.25/0.50 then I'm going to start throwing the best hand away in some situations needlessly.Can anyone quantify how big a leak my calls may be?,as I tend to call down with top pair or better if the pot is massive regardless of the action unless something like 3 players jamming the pot occurs.This is a common situation and something I need to sort out if I want to move up in limits.

2.)As for the advice of raising AJ,I follow the starting hands chart in Matthew Hilger's book,Internet Texas Hold Em:Winning strategies of an internet pro,and he only recomends raising with &gt; AJs in early position.I'm aware that the amount of limping he suggests on his chart goes against what the majority think but have just followed the chart blindly while I'm learning the ins and outs of the game.What advice can you give me on pre flop raising while still following his guidelines?.Do most of you have a no open limp policy like what is suggested in Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Lee Jones?