Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: What to say when you go back to work?

Apply for a job at SIG. According to Bill Chen's bio on Poker Stars, they give him time off to play the WSOP.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lots of people lie in a job interview not to mention the people taking the interview...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to have an interview where they did not lie to me. Lie back. It's just like a hand of poker, except you won't see the river for 30+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]
True dat. I wouldn't feel bad at all straight up lying in a job interview. But whatever you tell them, your potential employer is gonna think "BS" when you haven't had relevant work experience for 2 years.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've spent the last 2 years, travelling, getting to know yourself/purpose and supplementing your adventures with investment returns (all while keeping abreast of current trends in IT).

[/ QUOTE ]

A+
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Hey thanks for the advice guys... Some good stuff up here...

Anyways, I have a clean background, so I should be ok during the background checks. The background checks mostly come after I get employed though, during the secret clearance screening which takes about a year.

As far as time in between jobs goes (which i am most worried about), i have traveled alot (for fun) and I did some referral based IT consulting work... So i guess, i'd only be half way lying if mentioned those. I'd just have to stretch the truth a little i guess...

A "proper" 9-5 is also a great idea, just to apply from the standpoint of being already employed.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WoW, ldo

[/ QUOTE ]

haha I can imagine this.

"What have you been doing for the last 2 years?"
"playing World of warcraft."
"Welcome aboard!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner !
Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, why can't people just tell the truth? If they don't hire you then [censored] them, they're a bunch of pretentious pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're clueless

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, He sure is ... tho you shouldn't lie at an interview, just either don't tell the trust or tell the trust in a way that makes it difficult to recognize.

I myself have just gotten a job a few weeks back after playing poker for almost two years. Naturally I didn't mention my poker playing, ldo
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Lying to get the job is when then. When it comes time to fill out the screening for for your clearance, u lie on it and it is a felony. Your emlpyoer sees it before u turn it over to DOD. On the forms they will ask for employment history for the last 10 years. Also to explain any extended amounts of time without employment.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Tell them the truth. You were doing so well playing poker professionally that you left the work force for a time. It's been fruitful, but online poker is a solitary, anti-social pursuit and you found yourself longing for the company of others. It was a valuable learning experience; with poker, you were never a part of something. You want to be a part of a team again. You want to make a contribution to something bigger.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM

wow....I really should never type something until I have had my coffee in the morning