Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Re: PF Time Pot Scenario

[ QUOTE ]
All i was saying is if you have an option to stay out of that time pot and pay your own time you should stay out. If you must be in the time pot then AA-JJ is playable but not much else unless the whole table understands it and tightens up and you can steal blinds with all kind of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think a time pot is a bad idea. Considering you will be involved in substantially less pots than your opponents. I would think the situation described comes up rarely and when it does you simply adjust accordingly.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 AM

I'm usually the initiator of time pots whenever possible since

A) The table usually doesn't care that time is being taken and plays like it's any other hand and

B) I win far fewer pots on average than the typical 10/20 donk.

I have found that I pay a small fraction of the time that I usually should when I do time pots, but my sample size is small, and I can understand the bad consequences it might have on the game while time is being collected.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All i was saying is if you have an option to stay out of that time pot and pay your own time you should stay out. If you must be in the time pot then AA-JJ is playable but not much else unless the whole table understands it and tightens up and you can steal blinds with all kind of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think a time pot is a bad idea. Considering you will be involved in substantially less pots than your opponents. I would think the situation described comes up rarely and when it does you simply adjust accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed my point again. I play in time pot games all the time but then again those games are at higher stakes and time charge is not as big or a portion of the pot. I think time pot is a really good idea for 30-60 games and up but in this case you are paying more then 1BB from the pot and that kills the game.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM

I agree with 3rdcheckraise here. While I'm usually the dude that runs the time at 20/40 (where time pots are max 35) at 10/20 it's really pointless.

While yes you may save 5/half hour the idea of bringing even more nittiness to an already incredibly nitty passive game is counter-intuitive. You save 5$ but cost yourself a fun table.