Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: My Belated Pooh-Bah Post (Why I hate slowplaying)

I just want to add, that when you flop a big hand, you want to seperate your opponents from a bunch of bets. It is frequently easier to seperate them from a bunch of small bets, than it is to seperate them from a bunch of big bets. And it only takes two small bets to equal one big bet.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM

I think the most compelling argument for not slow playing comes from getting into the mind of a fish. Or maybe rather the instincts of a fish.

Everyone knows the weak when strong, strong when weak mantra about poor players. To a fish, when you 3-bet pf and then raise a donker on the flop the last hand he will put you on is AA. The fish sees your raise as an attempt to get him to fold his hand because you want him out of the pot. After all he would never raise with AA on an Ace high flop. So he looks down and sees second pair no kicker and thinks, "How dare you!!!!" "You obviously want me to fold, well I'll show you! Call!"

His call then triggers a schooling effect and you have built a huge pot on the flop. Now, no one is folding on the turn.

If I had a dollar for every time I was cold called because a fish thought I was weak when I raised my monster on the flop.......oh wait, I do have a dollar. In fact, I have many!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 PM

One of the earliest pieces of advice I received from this forum is "Slow playing sucks". I hold it near and dear to my heart. About the only time I do it is when I have all the good cards.

Example:

I have AA on flop of AKK or some [censored] like that.

slow
playing
sucks.....like James said a early in the thread.