Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: ***Official*** LOST Season 3 Episode 9 Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
Or course in the process of answering these 3 questions they opened up more:

1. What are Cindy and the Children and those people there to watch?
2. What does getting "marked" mean to the The Others?
3. Why are Jack's tatoos in Chinese when he got them in Thailand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or why does Jack give a crap about whatever Bai Ling says and insists that he be marked as such? He's a man of science/reason, not of mystical/faith-based mumbo-jumbo.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are Cindy and the Children and those people there to watch?

[/ QUOTE ]
The reading of the verdict?

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't make much sense in the overall context. They are probably there to watch whatever "work" the Others are doing on the sub-island.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't make much sense in the overall context. They are probably there to watch whatever "work" the Others are doing on the sub-island.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it does ... they are "brainwashing" a new race of people who will take over the world once its been completely destroyed by war, disease, etc ... thats how i interpret it at least.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well sure. But I didn't interpret her saying they were there to watch to be an overarching concept of their existence on the island. She was answering Jack's question of what they were doing right there at that particular point in time.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it does ... they are "brainwashing" a new race of people who will take over the world once its been completely destroyed by war, disease, etc ... thats how i interpret it at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that's part of the "work" as I interpret it.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM

The only thing that last weeks commercials show is that the producers understand that the viewers are frustrated. The only thing the 3 commercial breaks in the first 29 minutes show is that they don't care and want to profit off of it.

I thought this episode was crap.

What really bugs me is that tubby guy who plays the bum in that Capital One commercial used to be all bad ass. Now he's like the fat loser of the Others. I hate when he is on screen, it's like "wow that guy is pathetic". Remember when he was like the leader?

And yeah, if Jack is on the island with the others and still can't get any answers he needs to just die or something. And what about the people they LET GO OFF THE ISLAND? Are you kidding? And now next week I get to be excited for this "dangerous activity" that 'gonna die' Charlie gets to partake in?

If they're gonna kill him off, they better make him get in a big fight with clare of the bayyyyybeeeee and then OD. Make some drama, make me care about the characters. Dids was right - Locke is the key to the show. His emotion and attachment to the island was awesome. Now it's all some giant shitshow that drags us across into new unknown areas. Honestly Jack, what were you doing on that beah? that whole backstory was terrible. Suddenly Jack is some overaggro maniac who DEMANDS a tattoo! DEMANDS! "There will be consequences" On the old lost that meant something crazy would happen. In the new LOST it mean he gets roughed up.

It seems like a few good episodes is just their excuse to put out a crap one.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And you don't think the verdict fits into this vision? Not being a smartass, I'm just confused by your view. What else was happening on the sub-island besides the verdict, wrt brainwashing or anything else, that they could have been there to watch? Isn't the idea of Jack being completely manipulated to side with Juliet a perfect example of this brainwashing?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Often the promos are not done by the production company doing the show. NYPD Blue always had horrible, and totally misleading promos, just ignore them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

The producers said on their most recent podcast that they had nothing to do with the "3 mysteries revealed" promo and were not very enthusiastic about a lot of the advertising being used for the show.

Although I am not one to complain, I was also disappointed with tonights show. Jacks backstory was really non-engaging and built towards a resolution that was undeniably anti-climatic - but I suppose this could be the foundation for a larger, more interesting story. The scenes with Sawyer and Kate felt like time-filler to me. It was basically played out soap-opera dialogue with very little relevance to any storylines currently going on. Also, the 'LOST cliffhanger' was the weakest of any ep I can remember.

Anyways,

I think what a lot of us have to realize is that it would be virtually impossible for the show to continue blowing your mind in the same ways it did in seasons 1 and 2. In the first two seasons, everything about the show was so goddamn mysterious. We knew nothing about any of the characters or the island itself and any scrap on info we were given was all the more valuable as a result. It seemed like every single backstory was a HUGE shocker because the pasts of these characters were completely mysterious. Similarily, anything having to do with the island was massively gripping because anything past the shore was unexplored . Remember how [censored] amazing it was when you first found out that there might be other people on the island? Or when you found out that Locke had been in a wheelchair? Or that there was a hatch? Or when the monster first made that sound?

Now we are in season 3, and despite peoples complaining, a lot has been revealed to us. They have laid out the foundation for the show and now we are exploring it further. A lot of the great mystery has been taken out of the island, the survivors and the others in the course of 2.5 seasons. This means that a lot of big revelations now are merely an extension of big revelations earlier in the series (ie, us learning specifics about the others as opposed to learning there are others) and as a result don't have the same OMGWTFWOW effect.

I really like the what Disjunction said about the show earlier in the thread, and I share similar tastes in why I watch the show (which is probably why I enjoy it more often than some). I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment by tuning in every week expecting a huge new dramabomb. The fact is that huge dramabombs are going to be harder to come by as we understand more about the island/characters/etc. Now is the time to adjust to a slower pace that is more condusive to exploring storylines as opposed to introducing them. I for one am enjoying it.

Except for tonight [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Easily the worst episode in 3 seasons (and I really liked last week with Desmond.)

The only saving grace from this episode is that I just found naked pictures of Bai Ling on Google.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And you don't think the verdict fits into this vision? Not being a smartass, I'm just confused by your view. What else was happening on the sub-island besides the verdict, wrt brainwashing or anything else, that they could have been there to watch? Isn't the idea of Jack being completely manipulated to side with Juliet a perfect example of this brainwashing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took Cindy's statement as more of a general statement of "Jack, we're here to bear witness to what these people are doing" rather than just the very specific "for Juliette's verdict" although that is part of the whole thing. I don't think it's a stretch that there's a whole lot more going on than just the verdict on the island. Would the children also be brought along for a death-sentence verdict?