Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

OMG wow, shoulda put that link in my post!
I love that performance! Seriously, I haven't seen it in awhile, I'm getting chills.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 PM

You Fiona lovers should check out her cover of Jimi's "Angel". She prefaces with "Jimi fans will either really like this or really hate this". Very very different, but amazing. Reminds me of Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends". I imagine Jimi would remark that it's better than his version, similar to The Beatles towards Cocker's version of their song.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I have that on my iPod, it's great.

Even better, I have her covering Jimmy Cliff's Sitting In Limbo, it's freakin amazing.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM

We need some female blues singers. None better then Etta James.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KOUaG6O6eE

There are plenty of classic male blues artists, but the ladies are a bit thin on the ground. Those that made it really shine.

An awesome combination - Etta James & Audrey Hepburn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdtG3Er_-s
Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 PM

i'm listening to that first one you linked StaggerLee. I really like this kind of music. I've enjoyed listening to all these female artists while I'm stuck here at work. Thanks for the links everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (it's going to be a long night for me.)
Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chrissie Hynde singing "I'll Stand By You"

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy PMed me for my take on this one, so rather than just PM her back, I'll post it here.

I didn't know I knew this song before I clicked on the link, but I do remember hearing this one quite a bit a while back, even if I haven't heard it recently. I keep vacillating between thinking this is a classic ballad I enjoy, even if I'd never admit it to my friends, or if instead it crosses too far into being overly melodramatic and self-indulgent. I think some of the latter sentiment is rooted in hearing it overplayed as a backdrop to overly melodramatic and self-indulgent moments on TV or whatnot. I like this better than some of the other girl-pop I dismissed earlier, but I can't really get behind this song because it's been kinda ruined for me. Do you have a link to another great song sung by the same girl? I'd like to give her another shot.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chrissie Hynde singing "I'll Stand By You"

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy PMed me for my take on this one, so rather than just PM her back, I'll post it here.

I didn't know I knew this song before I clicked on the link, but I do remember hearing this one quite a bit a while back, even if I haven't heard it recently. I keep vacillating between thinking this is a classic ballad I enjoy, even if I'd never admit it to my friends, or if instead it crosses too far into being overly melodramatic and self-indulgent. I think some of the latter sentiment is rooted in hearing it overplayed as a backdrop to overly melodramatic and self-indulgent moments on TV or whatnot. I like this better than some of the other girl-pop I dismissed earlier, but I can't really get behind this song because it's been kinda ruined for me. Do you have a link to another great song sung by the same girl? I'd like to give her another shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, Wook. Really? The Pretenders first album!!! Go get immediately. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We need some female blues singers. None better then Etta James.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KOUaG6O6eE

There are plenty of classic male blues artists, but the ladies are a bit thin on the ground. Those that made it really shine.

An awesome combination - Etta James & Audrey Hepburn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdtG3Er_-s

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Etta James, but that first video doesn't really do her singing justice. Fortunately, the second video is a studio recording of her singing at peak forum behind a video montage.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Dom,

I've been blowing 100% of my music budget on jazz and blues lately. I have hardly bought music made after about 1995 unless it's by people emulating a style developed before 1945. So, what's another song on that album that I simply MUST hear? Another good link and I could be convinced.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Fiona is definitely not a 100% polished singer, especially live. I kind of like when she goes out of key with emotion though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that "going out of pitch w/ emotion" thing just doesn't cut it with me. It's really rampant in the link Kimbell posted right after you. Just when I'd start to be digging it, then, "Ouch, that note was flat. Ugh, that one too." I'd kinda like to hear someone with just a hair more polish sing those songs, though.