Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: What about this sport...

Domer had the answer to this sandwiched in between my two posts.

I still cannot grasp this variance argument if they release lines. WTF does it have to do with anything? Its like a standard answer people just randomly throw out when they don't know what is going on.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 PM

I agree with domer's assessment.
The reason there is no betting on bowling is because they have the perception, likely correct, that almost nobody gives a crap.

I also cannot figure out the variance argument and why it would be so special to specifically make bowling not bet-worthy but not for any other sport.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Pinny did offer lines on the PBA telecasts for 3 or 4 weeks before they shut down US wagers. The lines would go up on the day of the telecast and they would create a line for the final match during the commercial break before that match.

I remember that the limits were really low on the head to head matchups. The lines were openly discussed on the PBA website forum at the time.

The low limits and lack of US wagers would lead me to believe that there was minimal action on those lines. I can't imagine variance would matter on these lines, assuming that the person setting the lines wasn't so bad at setting lines that Pinny would lose enough money to care.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Would that sport be any more susceptible to the players throwing the games?
I know they don't get a lot...especially if they don't win.
But, as you say, it's going to be kind of difficult to make money on the low bet-maxes I assume they set.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM

The current payout structure on the telecasts are 25k-13k-6k. I'm not sure if it would be possible to bet enough with the low bet maxes to make up for the possibility of the bowler winning more by just winning their match.
The telecast money doesn't take into account any ball or other incentives that the bowler might have for winning the event.

The low amount of action on the event would probably make it pretty obvious that something fishy was going on if someone was throwing a match. Pinny was the only place I know that offered a line, so it isn't possible to spread the action across 5 books to hide what is happening. I guess it comes down to how many times would Pinny take one-sided max bets before the line comes off the board.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

it is next to impossible to figure out if someone is throwing a bowling match on purpose
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM

I realize that it would be nearly impossible to detect an attempt to throw a match. The betting action would have to point directly at that situation and even then it might still be hard to tell. The main point is that it might not be financially reasonable to throw a match under the limited betting situation that existed.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM

You think if you make the lane conditions tougher it evens the playing field? So you have a better chance to beat Pete Weber on the U.S. Open lane condition than at your local league with a house shot? You are way out of line. When lane conditions become easier it becomes easier for everyone to strike and pro's don't get 11 pins for throwing a better strike than an amateur. But when strikes are hard to come by and require a perfect approach, timing, release, and ball selection it gives the pro an edge you can not imagine. I average 220-230 depending on my effort, I bowled against Pete Weber 9 games in our state tournament and i was 0-9. The odds of any given bowler beating a top notch pro on a tough condition are about the same as the College Football National Champs beating the Patriots in snow at home.