Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Kiss any online gambling legislation goodbye, thanks to a bad Ref

Sports betting has been going on for years in the US, legally and illegally. If US legislators want to continue to bury their heads in the sand then funds will continue to flow offshore into the wrong types of bookmakers.

Fundamentally the NBA, NFL and MLB is honest, the players are paid so well that the likelihood of bribery is far smaller than in a remote Soccer league or European Basketball League. Obviously referees are always an easy target for unscrupulous people, however one hopes that blatantly bad calls from the same official would be looked at with an eye of suspicion.

I do not think that the US Congress remotely understands the Sports Betting issue, and simply has been railroaded by the evangelicals to believe that it is akin to the devil. The anti lobby is so powerful that few pro sports betting congressmen would put their head on the line to publicly support such an initiative. Unfortunately it will be several years or even decades before sense prevails.

As has already been mentioned there is a carve out already for Sports Betting in any future legislation, so I do not think this incident will have a major bearing on the ultimate decision.

My odds for Poker Legislation before 2012. 10-1.