Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: AJo in the sb debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a cash game you need a much better hand to open than to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just the messenger, you got to complain to Sklansky; I believe that was his language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you find it and quote it (at least in part)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky.
There is an entire chapter titled "The Gap Concept."
I believe it is after the chapters titled "They're Broke, They're Done" or "You're Broke, You're Done" or vice versa.

Book reports please...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AJo in the sb debate

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes in a tourney, your opponents tighten up too much, sometimes they don't tighten up at all, when approaching the bubble.

That's why I asked what stage the tourney was at and what were the blinds earlier in this thread. I was trying to get a feel for what the gap is in this hand, since I didn't see the telecast.

[/ QUOTE ]

so a few things.....

1. You asked what stage the tourney was in to help you get a better understanding of the situation w/ out asking for the most critical piece of info. Stack sizes are the most important thing when trying to evaluate this. Yes, some people tighten up way too much nearing the bubble, but you said "sometimes they don't tighten up at all" as if this is a bad thing. Sometimes the best thing you can do around the bubble, especially if you are a big stack is to loosen up and take advantage of all the people over-compensating for the bubble.

2. I am having a hard time trying to figure out why the GAP theory whould basically flip for a tourney vs a cash game.

example : Cash game - UTG raises and we are in MP1 w/ AJo.. straight forward muck.

Same situation but as a tourney : I just don't see why this could/should be a call instead of a fold.

[ QUOTE ]
If it was early on in this tourney, it might not be worth risking any chips with an AJo, out of the BB on a late position steal; not to mention playing that hand out of position for the remainder of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be a better play early in the tourney as your stack:blinds ratio is probably bigger, but I'm not fluent enough in tourney play to give a real strong opinion here. One thing to consider though is that early in a tourney, an open from CO is probably a bit tighter than later when stacks are getting smaller.