Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Default 100NL 6max - Flopped set gets 3bet.

Villain's stats are 46/26/11 with a 17 AF on the flop over a relatively small sample size.

I should have led the flop, but a c/r isn't awful here I don't think. What line do you take after he 3bets? Also note deepish stacks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($214.53)
BB ($448.45)
UTG ($95.12)
MP ($94.09)
CO ($50.70)
Button ($143.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($15) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $52</font>
Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: 100NL 6max - Flopped set gets 3bet.

If board was slightly less drawy, I would call and c/r a relatively safe turn. As it is, I think we have to stick another bet in here.

His raise has made any raise you could make very awkward with the stack sizes though....Maybe 120 and push any turn? I jsut feel that a push here is a HUGE bet...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Your flop C/R seems really small. I would make it 40 or so. He can still call that with a wide range of hands being so deep.

I feel like 4betting says "I can beat AA", but maybe this villain won't notice. Then again, villain's raise of your 3bet may say the same thing.

How about calling the 3bet and betting a non-club hard? That seems ok.

Does the fact that you're deep here mean we should be more cautious?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your flop C/R seems really small. I would make it 40 or so. He can still call that with a wide range of hands being so deep.

I feel like 4betting says "I can beat AA", but maybe this villain won't notice. Then again, villain's raise of your 3bet may say the same thing.

How about calling the 3bet and betting a non-club hard? That seems ok.

Does the fact that you're deep here mean we should be more cautious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact that we are deep just means it will be harder for me to get the money in, especially OOP.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:20 PM

I think this is a good enough spot for my money. If he has jacks then well set over set and nothing I can do about it. He obviously likes his hand, and I like mine a lot. I would've led the flop, but as played I'm probably making it like $140 or shoving. I think calling sucks because what do you do if a club hits? He could very well have 66 or 8c 9c.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Raise it up. Definitely lead pot next time. His AF is off the chart.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:34 PM

I actually like a push here.. I think his range his JJ-AA, and maybe AJ.. JJ we're going to go broke anyway.. So how do we get those overpairs and AJ to commit the most money?

A call and leading the turn is probably going to slow them down.. If it's a club, that just sucks. So I like a raise on the flop, especially against a LAG opponent.. Granted, I generally play very aggressive so I get paid off more in spots like this..

So I like a raise.. My normal raise size would be to about $125-$150.. But that's awkward cause it only leaves 50-60 behind. When I see someone put in a big raise and leave only a little behind, it reeks of a big hand. I think the push looks more like a club draw, AJ, QQ-AA.. So if he has AA or KK, we are more likely to get paid.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:41 PM

I don't think QQ-AA is in his range. I think there is a very small possibility he has JJ, but that too is unlikely.

More likely range - 10J-AJ, club draw, straight draw, two pair, 666, not in that order.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM

I don't really like raising preflop from the SB there, but to each his own.

As played, since you did raise, I really don't like the flop check. I think leading for near pot is nearly mandatory. In this spot, BTW, given villain's stats, I think we basically have the nuts. A 46/26, if these stats are even near accurate for this villain, is not going to limp JJ under the gun.

While I really prefer to lead, it worked out for you, and as played I think you instapop him for your whole stack, or around 120, and then bet strong on any turn--even a club. I'm not really goign to worry about losing to a flush in this spot against this guy, because I expect him to go to the felt with a lot of hands we're murdering (ie J7s, 67, 66, and even big jacks)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like raising preflop from the SB there, but to each his own.

As played, since you did raise, I really don't like the flop check. I think leading for near pot is nearly mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I usually don't raise preflop with a small pair out of the blinds but will occasionally to mix things up.

I agree that a lead is the right move here because if I raise this preflop, I am firing on on most flops and I have been fairly aggressive at the table thus far.

The real difficulty I had here was whether I should have pushed the flop or c/r the turn ai. I wasn't too thrilled with the board's texture here, so I decided to push. He let the time run down and folded. If the board was a bit less drawy, I think I would have opted for the c/r rather than the push, and this guy was almost certainly betting the turn FWIW, so no concern of him checking behind on the turn.