Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Default 2NL on UB - effect of mircostacks

I am seeing more and more mircostacks playing 2NL on UB these days. I was wondering how I should be adjusting to these $0.10 stacks. Their range is pretty wide but since I don’t have implied odds I think I can only call with strong pairs and AK, AQ.

Is it a leak or proper play to “race” with them when heads-up?

When other “normal” stacks are involved in the hand I seem to get lost even more since one or 2 of these micros in the hand can artificially inflate the pot. If I have a strong hand I don’t mind playing a side pot but should I tighten up when holding only a medium hand pre-flop when there are micros to act behind me?

Also, any point on reraising to isolate these micros or just except them in the pot and try to play for a side pot? Say I have AA and the UTG mirco pushes, should I reraise to limit cold callers, which hurts my AA, and just be happy to win a small pot?

Last question. Up to what limits do you see these mircostacks? Not talking your run of the mill short stacker, but extreme 5BB micros. Just curious, bankroll won't let me move up yet.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: 2NL on UB - effect of mircostacks

I'll race all day long with shortstackers (though this might be a leak of mine lol). If I raise preflop with something like AK/AQ and get called by a shortie, I'm shoving them in whether I hit or miss (and calling too, depending on how short they are).

Good shortstackers know that they can put you in a weird position against other normal stacks...which is one of their strengths. Most of my dealings with shortstackers have been with 20BB stacks, so I rarely see an open shove. I like the reraise with AA because donks are calling no matter what, and smart players might see it as an isolation play and reraise back to leave you OOP.

I don't think I've seen a 5BB micro at 25NL, but I've seen a couple of 10BBers.