Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kids i know i want 100%
a wife, i'm not so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to laugh at this. While neither my wife nor I have ever regretted having kids, I can assure you we've both had moments of regretting we ever got married. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think that's pretty par for the course in marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, qft.

and lol @ some of the responses in this thread. 'kids are like a MLM - huge effort for incremental returns'??? lol.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

the ppl who say that kids are huge investments for little return and ppl who don't like kids usually need to take a look at their own childhoods and parents and see what went wrong..
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the ppl who say that kids are huge investments for little return and ppl who don't like kids usually need to take a look at their own childhoods and parents and see what went wrong..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the mentality I find funny. I would never try to convince someone they shouldn't have children but parents seem to think people who don't want children are defective.

I have nothing against children. I actually volunteer at a spelling bee which has me coaching young children.

The reason I don't want children is because I value my social life more than I value having children. I love my life. If I had children my life would be boring. I tried doing the whole domestic thing for two weeks and I was so miserable that if I had to wake up to that for 16-17 years I rather just jump in front of a bus and get it over with.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the mentality I find funny. I would never try to convince someone they shouldn't have children but parents seem to think people who don't want children are defective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel that way at all. Certainly there people that don't want kids - duh it's your life, do what makes you happy.

My kids are a significant part of my happiness.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Henry17, how old are you?

I'm 24 and hate kids. Terrified at the thought of having one. I wonder when this will change.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kids i know i want 100%
a wife, i'm not so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to laugh at this. While neither my wife nor I have ever regretted having kids, I can assure you we've both had moments of regretting we ever got married. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think that's pretty par for the course in marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know that there are ups and downs during all marriages, but i don't really see a point in getting married unless it is to raise children together.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but parents seem to think people who don't want children are defective.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this way at all. It's your choice. I just hope you don't wake up some day 30 years from now, when it's too late, and regret your choice. That's something I don't have to worry about.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried doing the whole domestic thing for two weeks and I was so miserable that if I had to wake up to that for 16-17 years I rather just jump in front of a bus and get it over with.

[/ QUOTE ]
But these weren't your kids. You can't possibly understand it unless they are. This little two-week "trial period" just doesn't compute. But hey, to each his own. You'll have your answer in 30 years or so.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While neither my wife nor I have ever regretted having kids

[/ QUOTE ]
See, I want to have kids, but statements like this actually make me think about changing my mind. First of all, I find it hard to believe that someone would never question a decision that big. And second, if having kids really does [censored] with your mind so much that you can't even longingly consider what might have been, then maybe I don't want them after all. Does this make sense to anyone?

Even though I'm a children person, I'm on Henry's side in this thread, in the sense of I think the social stigmas about this stuff are 99% ridiculous.

edit: I'm 20, since everyone is giving ages in this thread and since it seems to matter
Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 24 and hate kids. Terrified at the thought of having one. I wonder when this will change.

[/ QUOTE ]
The day you find out you're pregnant, at least the hate part. The terrified part takes a little longer to get over -- like when they turn 1 and you finally realize they don't break as easily as you thought. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Henry17, how old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 34

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this way at all. It's your choice. I just hope you don't wake up some day 30 years from now, when it's too late, and regret your choice. That's something I don't have to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I won't regret it. I was always a maybe on the children aspect. Then I dated a girl that had a child. Then I started to have friends who have children. I've seen the impact having children has on someone's life and for me it is not worth it. I don't want pets, plants or a job for the same reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
See, I want to have kids, but statements like this actually make me think about changing my mind. First of all, I find it hard to believe that someone would never question a decision that big.

[/ QUOTE ]

It almost seems like talking to people who have been initiated into a cult. My general thought process when I hear a friend is having a child is "ok his life is over" but I never would consider saying it or letting them know that is what I thought.