Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Season Tickets \"Investment\"

I have a weird idea. Or maybe it's not that weird, I'm sure it has been done before. I was thinking of buying a set of amazingly good seat location season tickets for the Padres for the next season. I can sell tickets I know I won't use on the padres.com auction site for higher than face value. I usually don't have time to go to games, but when I do I'd like to have a great seat. I'd probably lose a little money on this "investment" but I think it would be worth it because I would thoroughly enjoy the games I do attend. I'm terrible at explaining things but I think I explained the basics of this idea. Comments?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Season Tickets \"Investment\"

Go for it.

If you go into it w/ the expectation of losing money but having a good time, then by all means go for it. Worst case you have your great seats anytime you choose, best case you end up getting the tickets free, and making enough for beer and pretzels.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM

Chrisman,

I also say go for it especially if you are a fan which sounds like you are. If I could get on the priority list for Cubs season tickets I would in a heartbeat especially because I know if I couldn't attend a game I could easily sell it for profit to someone online. The cubs sell out almost every game even though they suck donkey balls.
Your best bet for making a positive return is for the seasons like this year when the Padres are in the chase. I'm not sure how it works in San Diego but the White Sox for instance would not even come close to selling out even the good seats before they won the World Series last year. You couldn't give away the tickets.

I wish you the best, let us know what you decided. I'm looking at buying Bulls season tickets next year but I think I prolly attend every game.

Chicago
Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM

I know people in NY who do this for the Knicks and Yanks...they basically go to the few games they want and then send out mass emails to friends. The Knicks tickets used to go in 1 or 2 weeks (before they sucked) and a lot of the Yanks tix sell. Playoff tickets get even more.

IMO baseball is the hardest of the sports to do this and make a profit/break even.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 AM

I think it is a good idea and you should be able to get at least face value for the tickets. I just bought season tickets this year to Az cardinals knowing I could not attend all the games since i live in vegas. I plan on going to 4 games and gave away to frieds the preseason games and sold the other 4 games(the ones with the highest demand) for more than my season ticket package.

Robert
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 AM

How come so many of the Cubs games I see on TV seem to have a lot of more empty seats, especially when it's hot out? You're saying that the scalpers on those days are still making over face value or making it up big-time on the lower percent of sell-outs?

Maybe Cubs tix are a lot hotter now then they used to be years ago (80's/early 90's) when I went to a lot of games and the empty seats now are all sold. But every game I've attended I got my tix for face or less, usually less.

I used to buy two Nashville Predators season tickets but after I saw how low the prices were from scalpers I buy the best seats for about 20-25% off now the day of the game. Of course you can't do that if the Red Wings are in town, you'd have to pay well over face then.

I never sat down to figure out what I would average if I sold my unused tix (I usually gave them away), but it may be worth it since there is a discount for season tickets. But I think you'd want to include your labor/time of selling to decide if it was worth it. I was too lazy but I think if I bought them again now I'd go in with several others and divide the games ir else sell my extras. It wasn't smart to be giving all that money away every year.