Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Default 1k Super Sat Hand at Festa al Lago

Festa al Lago 1k Super Sat. to Monday's main event. We started w/ 3k at 25/50 and we're now at 50/100 and I have about 2500 to start the hand and my main opponent, very good professional James Van Alstyne, has me covered.

I am the SB and James is the button. EP limps, James limps, I complete w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the BB knuckles.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I lead out for 300 and James is the only caller. Turn is the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I bet 700 and James waits a few seconds and makes it 1500 to go. What to do? What kind of hands could James have here?

I think this spot is very interesting for a few reasons that I'd like to get into after we get some discussion going. I would say James views me as what I am, a good young internet player with some live experience.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: 1k Super Sat Hand at Festa al Lago

Ok I'll give it a try...

So he limps behind an early position limper...hmm. What kind of hands do that, maybe small pair like 22-66, suited connectors. He could have pair like JJ/TT and doesn't want to get trapped by a limp-reraise from the early position raiser but I think that's unlikely. He calls your bet after early position limper folds and reraises on turn but only 800 into a 3200 pot!!! Giving you 4-1 odds, I'm guessing thats the key discussion point here. Thats either a terrible reraise or a set. Im putting him on a set of threes. I'd dump this fast, even if he doesnt have a big hand are you willing to put the rest of your chips in on the river with 2nd or 3rd pair (depending on the river)
Old 10-14-2006, 03:35 PM

A strong pro could be making a move here, figuring you probably had about what you had, and couldn't call the raise. You still probably can't call.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:40 PM

I don't think you should bet the turn w/o having already decided if it was to play for your stack. You can't just stick in 1100 out of 2500 w/ tpgk on a drawy board and then fold. Betting the turn without a reason is kinda silly imo. Huge part of this hand comes down to deciding if James can 1) be semi bluffing here, and 2) can he just be comitting his stack with slightly worse hand, like 89?

To be honest, I think it's very unlikely you are ahead, but I also strongly dislike your line. You have a pretty mediocre hand, and they way you played the turn allows James to play very close to perfect against you. You are betting 1/3rd of your stack, w/ 2nd pair on the turn, and at the same time considering folding if he raises. I think he will fold a lot of hands you don't want him to fold (slightly smaller pairs, 77, etc).

I much prefer checking and deciding an action based on the size of his bet, and timing, or any tells you pick up.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:57 PM

I don't like the turn bet either. I think you want to try and keep the pot small with your hand. I would check the turn and see what he does.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say James views me as what I am, a good young internet player with some live experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, not to derail the thread, but didn't you win a braclet this year at the WSOP?

That's a bit more than "some live experience"

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 PM

Ansky's spot on. Your bet looked like you left yourself an out. If you were deciding to play for your stack, I could understand making the bet this way as a combination commitment slash over aggressive bluffcatcher. Not knowing what to do upon betting it was a serious error.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 AM

if we're playing for stacks, is a c/r better?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 AM

i wish i had something to add to what ansky said, but i don't really. i think a check on the turn is correct.

i also think that you are behind the great majority of the time here, and that it's a fold. imo a good player shoves a draw over your bet here, he doesn't raise it to 1500. it's possible he's FPSing and thinking that 1500 looks stronger and effectively commits you/him anyway, so he opted for that line... but i think this ought to be 33/22 most of the time, and very rarely will be two clubs or 54.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:45 AM

i think i like checking the flop.