Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Semi deep stack against LAG, like my turn push?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $322.25
UTG+1: $768.40
MP1: $322.40
MP2: $361.85
Rainshine: $280.35
Button: $163.75
SB: $96.45
BB: $134.15

Pre-flop: (8 players) Rainshine is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $7</font>, MP2 folds, Rainshine calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($17, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $29</font>, Rainshine calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $85</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Rainshine raises all-in $244.35</font>

Villian was doing some crazy floating post flop/turn. Hes built his stack up from 100 to his current stack just by doing this over and over. I figured it was time to put a stop to this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also have a HUGE tag image, haven't even played a hand in about 3 rotations. Everyone seems to respect me, and I haven't shown down any hands yet at the table.

I smooth called the flop, although thinking back im not sure why. So besides my questionable flop play, turn good?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Semi deep stack against LAG, like my turn push?

I find all LAGs different. This is pretty read dependent. Have you seen him overbet before? Floating doesn't necessarily means he fires two barrels with UI overs. Against the average LAG this play isn't bad but I prefer to have a better read before I start making moves like this.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:17 AM

LAGs always look this up with top pair. I call the turn bet and re-eval on the river vs this guy, depending on the river card either folding or calling a bet, or checking behind.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 AM

ive seen him overbet in a previous hand only to check down to river after an overbet on flop with AK high. I think without that hand that i saw I wouldn't of played this one like I did.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:46 AM

Eh. Do you have any idea what he has in this hand? Considering what you have been saying, he could have anywhere from TP to a draw to A high. Considering the distribution of those and his call percentages (I am assuming no fold equity on any TP and some MPs), I would say it's a toss up. I'm more of a guy to pass up questionable opportunities such as these, where a LAG has shown strength and I have a mediocre hand that is easily beaten, in favor of taking their money on pure bluffs that I can get away from easy (i.e. a hard flop raise and let go on any subsequent action), or just taking something like TP/GK very hard. But that's me -- I don't think it's a horrible play to play it as you did.

And yeah, I second being more in favor of calling a turn bet and seeing what happens on the river. LAGs don't have fold equity, so if you are doing this as a bluff, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 AM

bad. if he's ahead you don't really have outs. Find a better spot.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive seen him overbet in a previous hand only to check down to river after an overbet on flop with AK high. I think without that hand that i saw I wouldn't of played this one like I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

notice that in that example he did not fire a second barrell with his air, but in your hand,he isn't checking down..and your not bluffing him out of anything. if a lag bets that much on the turn, he has pot-committed himself to the hand and has to have something to do that with. I think in the best case scenario (for you) your against an OESD or a FD w/ overs, which your not ahead of by a whole lot. But many times youll be a 20-1 dog.

I think if your going to play a pot with a middle pair against this guy here, you neeed to reraise preflop, especially w/ position.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 AM

Yes, I say find a better spot even though he has been annoying. Fold Equity - I don't think is nonexistant but I guess rather low - certainly if he just has overcards I would think he would fold( and that has some value. )
Old 06-05-2006, 05:51 AM

What are you representing on the turn? I dont like turn push when you call flop and turn bricks (in his eyes).
Old 06-05-2006, 05:58 AM

what worse hand calls/better hand folds?